Computer

Virginia Campus Shooting

The only thing I can think of, for some reason, is what kind of gun was used?

glock 9mm. I seem to remember they said that he used 2 guns, although i'm not sure if that's true or what the other gun was.

they found a receipt for the gun in his bag. that pretty much said it all. that's what's so retarded about the U.S., Canada and elsewhere. there's no moral equivalence regarding rules to protect the safety of their citizens. it's a huge double standard. you can walk into a store and buy a KILLING MACHINE (moonlight's description) as if you're buying a candy bar, or you can buy a lethal dose of alcohol, but it's not okay to buy a gram of weed which will SUBDUE you. that's religion for you

at the very least there should be rigorous psychological and behavioral testing before someone's allowed to buy a gun.

People kill people, yes, but guns are the ENABLER of this killing...

I'm going to have to take the opposing stance on almost this entire post. I had a whole thing written up here, but I'm sure I've said alot of it before in other threads.

In short: Gun control is an issue, certainly. But it is not the primary concern because it is not, and will never be, effective in it's current form. Banning something that is readily and cheaply available illegally helps no one but the criminal. Not to mention the impracticality of trying to shut down or heavily regulate an industry so huge.

One firearm in the hands of a security guard, or even a responsible, properly trained student or staff member, could potentially have decreased the death toll. Or increased it, depending on circumstances - I won't deny that.

There are no easy answers here.

Edited by Sparq

I think an interesting question is, if someone had killed 30-some people with a knife, would people start talking about knife control outside of a campus campus setting? I highly doubt it. Now I know, you could argue, "if this guy was using a knife, it would be much harder for him to have killed so many people without being tackled or bum-rushed and what not." But I'm talking hypothetically here. But then, just as large numbers of people can be killed by single individuals without firearms, the only difference is it may not all be on the same day. And here's the the thing, a significant portion of murders take place without firearms, and in some countries with strict controls on gun ownership, their non-firearm murder rates actually exceed total murder rates in the USA (gun and non-gun murders per 100,000.) After all, the most prolific serial killer, some fellow from India, is said to have killed over 900 people over some years, using only a fancy rag to strangle victims with.

Bullshit. Gun control is a major issue here. Yes of course there are societal & psychological factors that came into play here also. But its a hell of a lot easier to fix gun laws then to fix society or keep every schizophrenic on their medication.

People kill people, yes, but guns are the ENABLER of this killing to reach such numerous & violent proportions. The gun is the tool for these types of killing, & its very easily attained in the U.S. If this guy went into the school with a knife, how many people could he have killed? 3 or 4 max maybe before getting tackled?

So you don't think the same thing would happen with rifles?

Listen, you can't solve murderers with banning guns, it will cause more crime, just like the war on drugs. The more you push something underground, especially something that has been previously readily availible you will create a HUGE criminal network of gun traders and sellers.

Even if it was successfully executed people would find other ways to harm life in large ways, they will use bombs, and whatever else if they want to kill. Allowing people to defend themselves from psychos i cannot see as an over-arching cause of the violence. Yes, guns have a huge factor in it, im not arguing that, im arguing a total ban is not going to work. Make the hand gun laws like we have in Canada, they're far superior and far more stringent. But a total ban on hand-guns is an offence to the liberty of those who do not act in such ways and treats people like children. We can deal with our problems without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

In spite of early (since removed) reports in The Washington Post and the bloviations of both Dr. Phil and anti-gaming attorney Jack Thompson, it looks like the gunman behind the shootings at Virginia Tech was not a videogame player.

A warrant listing items siezed from Cho Seung Hui's residence reveals little that suggests an interest in gaming. No consoles. No copies of Grand Theft Auto or Katamari Damacy. Just the things that you might expect would be found in a college student's dorm room.

Although a computer and harddrive are listed in the items taken, and could contain games, Cho's roommate has stated that he never saw his roommate playing videogames during his rare appearances in the dorm suite.

So there you have it. The pundits will have to find another facile "explanation" for these horrid crimes.

well now who will they blame? at least video games are safe this time around.

Yes, guns have a huge factor in it, im not arguing that, im arguing a total ban is not going to work.

That's exactly it! The "no guns" solution would only work if the world was not already saturated with them.

So you don't think the same thing would happen with rifles?

Listen, you can't solve murderers with banning guns, it will cause more crime, just like the war on drugs. The more you push something underground, especially something that has been previously readily availible you will create a HUGE criminal network of gun traders and sellers.

Even if it was successfully executed people would find other ways to harm life in large ways, they will use bombs, and whatever else if they want to kill. Allowing people to defend themselves from psychos i cannot see as an over-arching cause of the violence. Yes, guns have a huge factor in it, im not arguing that, im arguing a total ban is not going to work. Make the hand gun laws like we have in Canada, they're far superior and far more stringent. But a total ban on hand-guns is an offence to the liberty of those who do not act in such ways and treats people like children. We can deal with our problems without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Well, hard to sneak a 2 rifles around in your jacket pocket right?

A complete ban of guns, yes it would drive it underground & create more crime that way. Maybe thats not the answer. But my point is that the guns laws in the U.S. need to be toughened. They are a joke.

Well, hard to sneak a 2 rifles around in your jacket pocket right?

A complete ban of guns, yes it would drive it underground & create more crime that way.

Edited by Sparq

the more i hear about the shooter, the more he pisses me off.

this douche couldn't just off himself, if he wasn't happy with his place.

no, he had to take as many innocent people with him as he could.

and he fucking blamed "rich people" as one of the reasons why he was doing what he did.

uh, your parents own their own business and they afforded to send you to America and pay your tuition. makes me sick.

i guess it shows that everyone can go to college if you have the money. i don't know why they allowed him to continue going to the school.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

Motive

According to television news reports on April 17, the note police found[31] during the investigation in his dorm room criticizes "rich kids", "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans". Another sentence in the paper read "you caused me to do this."[9]

Edited by sodamntired

Keep in mind him saying "rich people" or whatever caused him to do it, ought not to be taken at face value. Clearly he had a history of mental illness and was completely off his rocker, he didn't just hate rich people and go on a shooting rampage, it takes a lot more then that. I find this society doesn't deal with "deviant" behaviour properly - this kid's history of apparently "scary" plays and writing he would hand into his teachers should have set off alarm bells long ago. Also, he was a social outcast type, i mean there are a lot of things that could have been addressed with this guy before this occured.