shoot.  

25 members have voted

1. 1. shoot.

• The King of Rock and Roll
    • Dumb shithead who never wrote a song
    • Mediocre
    • I like him, but he is not influential (I'm also lame)
    • Wise men say only fools rush in
    • Caugh in a trap, I can't walk out (lol tool used this in stinkfist once..LIVE!)

Seriously he was a fucking hack who re-did old songs on one side of a record and then stole the amazing music of really talented african american artists on the other side of the record. The only he added to rock and roll was a pelvic thrust and giving him credit for that is mediocre at best, we all pelvic thrust in life, some do it on camera, others keep it in the bed!

My name is Charles S. and I love Elvis.

I have always loved Elvis. I just accepted it for what it was. He was talented, not many people could have pulled off the shit he did, and got away with it. Jerry Lee Lewis is the only person who even came close. He may not have ever written a song, but he was a talented dancer, singer, and guitar player. As far as being more talented than his black contemporaries. I'd call it an unfair comparison. He came about at a time, when black performers were kept in the background, so it's just no way to compare. Especially since his handlers were going from black club to black club, to crib the performers songs and acts for him.

But, Elvis is the King...I'll never dispute it, all you have to do is see him do "Teddy Bear" or "Jailhouse Rock" or try and play "Viva Las Vegas" on stage, to know that the guy had the right combination of everything to be as great as he was.

Edited by bishopx

i think he's a tad overrated, but i also think that the argument of "he didnt write his own shit" is besides the point. if you look at other musicians of his time like frank sinatra or nat king cole, most of what they performed wasn't their own material. they'd take songs that were standards, or songs that were composed for them to play and shouldnt be seen as any less of a musician because of it. the idea that a "true" artist writes their own music is a notion that didn't arise or become really important until post-beatles.

as long as we maintain the distinction that elvis is important to music and not the best thing to happen to it, i think we'll be okay.

He is definitely not the best thing to ever happen to it...however he is important for a number of reasons. He helped bring Rock N Roll to the masses, and his emergence led to the acceptance of artists of all races.

Look at him like you would Eric Clapton...a lot of people say if it weren't for Eric, they wouldn't have discovered Robert Johnson, and Muddy Waters, and many more. Elvis was the same, people wanted to see where it came from...so they discovered, little richard, Carl Perkins, etc.

Seriously he was a fucking hack who re-did old songs on one side of a record and then stole the amazing music of really talented african american artists on the other side of the record. The only he added to rock and roll was a pelvic thrust and giving him credit for that is mediocre at best, we all pelvic thrust in life, some do it on camera, others keep it in the bed!

No Elvis = no Beatles, Stones etc.

No he didn't write his own songs, but the man could sing, & he was a showman who could entertain on-stage like few others of his time.

Unfortunately the world was quite racist back then, and black rockers came before him but didn't catch on. Elvis brought rock to the masses & influenced music like few others in history.

He deserves some credit.

I love Elvis movies...he couldn't act to save his life, but as soon as he needed to sing, it was all over. Just by the sheer power of his influence, and the doors he opened for out artists, he has earned his place in history, all of the other accolades deserved or not, should just be granted, for all that he did do.

I cant stand those corny Elvis movies. Neither could Elvis, apparently he would literally throw up from doing those damn flicks. Now THOSE were hack jobs.

But Elvis has some very good songs. If you're not too familiar with Elvis beyond songs like Hound Dog & Jailhouse Rock i'd recommend:

- "In The Ghetto"

- "If I Can Dream"

- "Kentucky Rain"

- "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You"

But hey different strokes for different folks. He definately does have his share of crap songs though.

I agree with you Moonlight. The movies are so bad they're funny, and in some of them you can tell how pained he was. They were essentially tacky music videos. I love the songs you recommended, especially "In The Ghetto" and "I can't help falling in love with you"