Some Random

I'll Be Damned

You do realise it's a joke, right?

Dell is going to ship computers with Ubuntu Linux, but M$ has certainly not created any kind of Windows-Linux hybrid. The "Expert" from PC Age magazine probably doesn't exist. PC Age doesn't either, though it used to in the 80s. It died before I was born.

Edited by Sparq

no, i didn't realise it was joke, but that explains why it doesn't make sense, and why i couldn't find any info on it. the article was linked on the blog of a 'linux guru' guy (marcel gagne) that i get an rss feed from. he made no indication of it being a joke, so he either didn't get it, or is perpetuating the joke.

that's cool that dell is gonna offer an alternative, though. i've heard that it's a bitch to find a pre-made computer for sale with linux pre-installed.

If you search for that article in Google News, it comes up with a "Satire" flag. At any rate, yeah. There aren't many commerically available systems with a linux preload, aside from certain corporate servers and the like. Dell's got a good idea there, but I'm not sure how well it'll actually sell.

The systems we're getting at work from Dell right now are all coming with a Vista preload...well, the laptops, anyway. We immediately ghost them with an XP Pro image.

Edited by Sparq

i thought the thing that gave it away would be the part that said "Windows Vista Service Pack 9 pre-installed". Vista has been out for four months now and it is already up to 9 service packs? i mean, XP only has 2 so far and it is 7 years old.

Extremely similar.

And yeah, sorry Chris but I could easily tell the article was fake. There's no way you actually read the whole thing, right? Please tell me you read the title and briefly skimmed it or something.

You can tell it was just a rip on Microsoft. The reasons given for Microsoft to retain the branding were just moronic. Also the quote by the "PC Age magazine rep" was highly unprofessional and hardly believable. And the whole last paragraph is a dead giveaway it's a fake; I shouldn't even have to explain why. Fuck I hope no one wrote that to intentionally mislead people; they did a fucking terrible job if that's the case.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

You also mentioned in another thread that you're not a computer person. I can actually see how that might be somewhat believable. At any rate, it sparked a whole geektastic operating system discussion.

if i ever got to the point where i couldn't look down and see my penis, i'd shoot myself. or go on a serious diet.

and, no, i don't think vista even has one service pack out yet. last week, when linux was giving me headaches and i was considering running scared back to windows, i realized what a horrible time to do that it would be. buying xp would be stupid at this point, and i wouldn't touch a new windows till the first sevice pack came out. and i don't fuck around with downloaded/hacked versions, so that wasn't even an option.