HoboFactory

Mac Users

I'd have to buy a whole screen. And as for fixing it myself... that'd be, well, fun, as I have no freakin' clue how I would do that. That reminds me, I need to call this place to get an estimate for the screen replacement.

here's a lesson:

if you're not getting your product replaced, you're not talking to the right person. if you call in to a service department and they are not co-operating with you, you need to ask for a supervisor... just keep going until you get what you want. everything you buy has a little contingency built into the MSRP that allows for them to cover the costs of that one person who is looking for a replacement.

in every conversation there is a sale going on, and in a sales process, there is rejection. wether it be you rejecting them or them rejecting you.

I have every fucking right to be bitter at this point. Your satisfaction with Apple came after six months of antagonizing AppleCare. That shouldn't be necessary. If I got sold a shitty laptop that isn't the norm I shouldn't have to go to such extraodinary measures to get a laptop that works the way it should.

Sure you have every right to be bitter, but you're original statement was that Macs suck and that their hardware is shitty. That's a pretty ridiculous generalization based on one experience. That's all I'm trying to say.

It didn't take me 6 months to get what I wanted, it was that the problem became apparent after 6 months. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. It took several calls to get to the right person, mind you, but it was definitely worth it.

Sure you have every right to be bitter, but you're original statement was that Macs suck and that their hardware is shitty. That's a pretty ridiculous generalization based on one experience. That's all I'm trying to say.

http://www.appledefects.com/

*whistles innocently*

Every non-Apple tech person I spoke to said that Apple quality control had been going down big time since the Macbooks came out.

To each there own.

I haven't had any problems with my powerbook.

This is rather interesting though:

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=118514&page=5&zoomIdx=1

I'm interested in what you're particular defect is. That is, the one that you believe is a design flaw.

http://www.appledefects.com/

*whistles innocently*

Every non-Apple tech person I spoke to said that Apple quality control had been going down big time since the Macbooks came out.

Peculiar. That's almost exactly what happened to me, expect with a Powerbook (which actually had a great reputation for it's hardware at the time), not the Macbook.

I never said quality control hasn't gone down. I believe it has too, but I don't think it's significantly lower than most other companies; it's only surprising because Apple had such a good reputation for it's higher standards. I still don't agree that Apple's suck or have shitty hardware. They are making some wrong choices as far as business goes, but the intention of the product is still superb, and performs very well when manufactured without flaw.

The new Macbooks are made with more power, but cost significantly less that the older notebooks. Apple is cutting their quality control budget, and increasing their marketing budget. It's all about generating sales, clearly. Apple already has a lot of professionals using their computers for production, music and design, and their current target market are young adults who can't quite afford to spend a few grand on a computer, but are willing to spend a little more than usual to try another (possibly better) product, are slightly careless with their things, and are tired of that other poor excuse for an operating system.

By spending less time and money on ensuring quality, they can focus their energy towards reaching this market through advertising and lowering their prices to a more reasonable one for someone in that category. This plan will most likely backfire on them if too many people like yourself receive the mistakes that slipped through their ill trained (if existent) screening staff, but looks like they're taking the chance and it seems to be working alright for them so far, considering their sales have vastly increased in the past few years.

To make things worse, the computer has the habit of not connecting to the wireless router, and I can no longer import full CDs. I've tried with five CDs at this point and not one of them has gone through all the way.

I was taught design on a PC and we only had the chance to try an older Mac at the end of the year. It became apparent to me that I may need to learn to use one, considering every design firm that I came across used them. I got my Emac and once I became comfortable with the idea of things working differently, but more smoothly, I began to love it. My initial frustrations with it faded. It would take a lot to get me to switch back.

Well it was twofold. One is that most computer problems (software) are PEBCAK. But further, I'm still waiting for you to answer my question from earlier... so it was in mild frustration directed at you... Playfully of course...

I'm a new Mac user, i've had my first Mac for only a few months (it's an iMac, 2 gig memory, 400 gig hard, Intel processor) - and so far so good (knocks on wood). I have to say im a pretty big fan, or, fanboy, as Colin would say lol. ANd I see nothing wrong with this.