sodamntired

Eternal Sunshine/brain Candy

Memories are what make us who we are. Without he pain of a memory we wouldn't learn the lesson that it brings and we would be doomed to repeat whatever caused the memory in the first place.

I wouldn't give up who I am today.

Memories are what make us who we are. Without he pain of a memory we wouldn't learn the lesson that it brings and we would be doomed to repeat whatever caused the memory in the first place.

I wouldn't give up who I am today.

there's no lesson to be learned from abuse/rape/molestation/murder/car wreck/violent encounter/etc..

I would tend to agree that there isn't any useful lesson to be learned from any of those events. Given the number of problems associated with psychological trauma (http://www.traumaresources.org/emotional_trauma_overview.htm) and that current treatments are based around 'dealing with' the memories, it stands to reason that lessening the impact of these memories would be positive.

As described here, most people already have abstract fuzzy memory. This is covered in the article, base on the fact that traumatic events cause the brain to store memories more vividly. The whole point that they were getting at is that the memories would be normalized into context. I'm not a psyc major, but I would assert that this would make the memories easier to handle.

None of us are really qualified to comment on it. We would all prefer to keep our memories. But consider an extreme cases, where this kind of treatment would have could be the difference between helping a person recover, and sentencing them to a life of mental disorder. Should we still be protecting the sanctity of memory in this case? What if the human cost of not using this technology is higher than the potential danger it presents? Like all drugs, it would need to be regulated, just as with most special purpose drugs.

there's no lesson to be learned from abuse/rape/molestation/murder/car wreck/violent encounter/etc..

I think there's a lesson in everything that happens to you, good or bad. Different people react in different ways but I have a friend who was raped and became a better person because of it, as oddly as it sounds.

I think there's a lesson in everything that happens to you, good or bad. Different people react in different ways but I have a friend who was raped and became a better person because of it, as oddly as it sounds.

Thank you.

Shiri, that's nothing but pure anecdote. Your friend is most likely an exception to the rule. I was watching a documentary last night on the Catholic Church's covering up of pedophile priests, and many of the victims were telling their stories. They're not better because of it. Even in middle age and beyond, they are broken shells of human beings.

It's fucking preposterous to suggest that there are lessons to be learned from having a gruesome crime committed against you. One person becoming better out of it changes nothing.

There is always something to learn about every situation...some just lack the ability to see it

You can't be fucking serious about this. What can POSSIBLY be learned about getting anally raped as a 10 year old by your priest?

I'm fucking serious here. I would love to see you try to answer this.

You are going to learn to be a stronger person...

...think about it for a second....Something bad happens you deal with it...or you become a victim your entire life and learn nothing and have people pity you all the time.

I understand what you are saying...but come on