Outtahere

Video concepts ideas I had in 1999 for Suburbia and Born To Kill

Back when Beautiful Midnight came out, which is one of my favourite MG records ever, I used to listen to is all the time. I had a walkman (remember those?) on my head at all times except in class of course. I was ending high school and in that weird phase between being a teenager and an adult. I also used to go out quite late at night with my friends which proved to be the best time for listening to that record. Suburbia at 2 in the morning while you're by yourself in a small town riding a bike (yeah I didn't have my licence yet) was just an awesome feeling. 

Nevertheless, I came up with two ideas for videos that I thought would have been awesome had Matt had the money to make them (not that I think he would have taken ideas from fans :P).

Suburbia: For that song, I imagined a POV type of video. At the beginning of the song, the character runs into his car, panicked, turns on the engine, struggling with his keys, looks into his rear-view mirror and, at the first symbal hit, he sees a huge ball of fire falls from the sky on his house. He then steps on the gas and drives away. Throughout the song, he sees people running from there to somewhere (someday, this place is gonna burn) and cars passing him by. Once in a while, he would look into his rear-view mirror again seeing other balls of fire fall from the sky at a hit of symbal. It's the apocalypse.

Born To Kill: That one would also be a POV type of video. This time, we're seeing through the eyes of a man with glasses who spends his day preparing for something. During the filming you see "The Catcher in the Rye" (you see where this is going) and he visits the Dakota to get John Lennon's autograph. Then you see him go trough his day and, at the part where the orchestra goes mad, you see him go back to the Dakota at night and wait for Lennon's return. Then, right before the song cuts at the end, he approaches the car and a caption saying "Mr. Lennon?" and then blank when the song cuts.

I've had these ideas for years and, since there's no way any of them would ever make it in a video, I thought I'd share those here! :)

Edited by Tips

Back when Beautiful Midnight came out, which is one of my favourite MG records ever, I used to listen to is all the time. I had a walkman (remember those?) on my head at all times except in class of course. I was ending high school and in that weird phase between being a teenager and an adult. I also used to go out quite late at night with my friends which proved to be the best time for listening to that record. Suburbia at 2 in the morning while you're by yourself in a small town riding a bike (yeah I didn't have my licence yet) was just an awesome feeling. 

Nevertheless, I came up with two ideas for videos that I thought would have been awesome had Matt had the money to make them (not that I think he would have taken ideas from fans :P).

Suburbia: For that song, I imagined a POV type of video. At the beginning of the song, the character runs into his car, panicked, turns on the engine, struggling with his keys, looks into his rear-view mirror and, at the first symbal hit, he sees a huge ball of fire falls from the sky on his house. He then steps on the gas and drives away. Throughout the song, he sees people running from there to somewhere (someday, this place is gonna burn) and cars passing him by. Once in a while, he would look into his rear-view mirror again seeing other balls of fire fall from the sky at a hit of symbal. It's the apocalypse.

Born To Kill: That one would also be a POV type of video. This time, we're seeing through the eyes of a man with glasses who spends his day preparing for something. During the filming you see "The Catcher in the Rye" (you see where this is going) and he visits the Dakota to get John Lennon's autograph. Then you see him go trough his day and, at the part where the orchestra goes mad, you see him go back to the Dakota at night and wait for Lennon's return. Then, right before the song cuts at the end, he approaches the car and a caption saying "Mr. Lennon?" and then blank when the song cuts.

I've had these ideas for years and, since there's no way any of them would ever make it in a video, I thought I'd share those here! :)

Both of these video ideas are fantastic. You know, it's funny, when I was in high school I used to visualize different vignettes as I was listening to the music as well. I don't remember anything specific except for the song "Under the Influence" ... for some reason I pictured the story of a Canadian Forces soldier being shipped off and trying to maintain a relationship with his lady back home and things were hard in the middle there, but they eventually persevered...kind of eerie given that AoB was released the month after 9/11 and pre- Afghanistan invasion....

Both of these video ideas are fantastic. You know, it's funny, when I was in high school I used to visualize different vignettes as I was listening to the music as well. I don't remember anything specific except for the song "Under the Influence" ... for some reason I pictured the story of a Canadian Forces soldier being shipped off and trying to maintain a relationship with his lady back home and things were hard in the middle there, but they eventually persevered...kind of eerie given that AoB was released the month after 9/11 and pre- Afghanistan invasion....

Thanks! ;)

That is eerie!

But I'm glad to see I'm not the only one! It's fun that these songs create images in our heads! :)