Moonlight_Graham

How Do I Tune An Electric Guitar W/ Tremolo...

Bought my first electric guitar a couple months ago, and it has a tremolo bridge (whammy bar). A string broke so i re-strung all the strings with my sister's help. But then i went to tune the guitar & noticed everytime i tuned one string, the others would go out of tune. I kept trying to re-tune the string over & over thinking maybe they are just stretching out a bit cuz they are new. But then i looked at the bridge and i had tightened the strings so much that the tremolo bridge was lifted way up towards the neck as if i was pushing on the whammy bar.

Ok so i knew something was wrong, i loosed the strings again so the bridge is back down normal. Now i don't know how to tune the guitar. Any help???

p.s. guitar is an Ibanez RG 120 with push-in tremolo bar if that helps?? Also, the whammy bar wasn't in while i was tuning. That matter?

on the back of the guitar you should have springs for the tension of the tremolo covered by a plastic plate . 2 screws to tighten or loossen the tension. sounds like you put on a set of strings that were a heavier gauge than were on when you got the guitar. just tighten the springs and tune the guitar

then loossen the springs to the tension that feels good to you

hope that helps

Edited by joe lon and the snakes

rg120. that was my first electric. have you gotten it properly set up since you bought it? highly recommended if you haven't. it'll run ya 60 bucks or so, but they restring, adjust the neck, set the action, etc, and you're guitar will feel so much better when you get it back.

rg120. that was my first electric. have you gotten it properly set up since you bought it? highly recommended if you haven't. it'll run ya 60 bucks or so, but they restring, adjust the neck, set the action, etc, and you're guitar will feel so much better when you get it back.

No never did that. I bought mine used but it was in great condition. Thats a lot of money, but thats for the suggestion i didn't know i could have that done. I know a good music store that specializes in Ibanez so ill look into it thanks.

Joe lon thanks for the help, i dont know much about guitars but ill look into what u said.