bishopx

The Passing Of A Legend - Paul Newman

There are so many things that can be said about this. I admired him for his ability, and for his charity. Cool Hand Luke is still one of my all time favorite movies.

Paul Newman, a screen hero for more than half a century and the head of a philanthropic food empire for the past 25 years, has died, it was announced Saturday. He was 83.

Surrounded by his family and close friends at his farmhouse near Westport, Conn., Newman succumbed Friday after a long battle with cancer, according to a statement from publicist Jeff Sanderson.

Famed for his intense blue eyes, his love of car racing and one of the coolest demeanors ever to heat up the silver screen, Newman was nominated for Oscars ten times.

But perhaps his proudest accomplishment, besides his 50-year marriage to actress Joanne Woodward, was starting Newman's Own, which since 1982 has made popcorn, spaghetti sauce, lemonade and salad dressing and has donated more than $250 million to charities selected by Newman himself.

Career Highs

With more than 80 films and TV productions to his credit, Newman's career spanned generations. His first Oscar nomination was in 1959 for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and his most recent was in 2003 for Road to Perdition.

The son of a sporting goods storeowner, the Ohio native enrolled in Ohio's Kenyon College after his 1946 discharge from the Navy. He married for the first time in 1949, then moved wife Jackie and their young son Scott east, where Newman attended the Yale Drama School and, later, the New York Actors Studio.

Dramatic TV roles came his way, but it was his Broadway debut in 1953, as the sexy stranger in Picnic, that led to a Warner Bros. Hollywood contract and his first movie

When I was in Seattle and went to a QFC with my sister, we saw all these food brands with his name or face on it. We both thought that in the USA they thought of him as a god.

Anyway, it's sad that he's gone. He has done a lot of good in his life. It's sad, but atleast he's not in pain anymore with cancer.