bobbyshane

Linux Anyone?

Valid point, I kinda like that idea. I'm more of a fan of a customized interface than anything. Albeit that the windows interface is good, and I prefer it to most linus distro's. I'm actually going to turn my laptop into a Linux Box when I get my desktop built, just so I can start to get used to it and maybe even switch right to linux afterwards. I just wanna be able to do ALL the things I can do on windows but using Linux first before I switch. I enjoy music too much to switch right away and as for gaming, well not too much support in linux gaming is there.

Oh and Toadman, I'm not afraid to switch right to Linux...I just prefer the Windows I got. It hasn't crashed on me yet and I've fully customized it nicely, as well as shut down most of the stupid background programs.

if it's just listening to music you enjoy there's no reason you can't do that in linux... my problem as far as music is the software for music production and dsp processing doesnt compare in features.. anyhow... there are plenty of media players for linux... my favorite is xmms it's a lot like winamp.. and as far as a customized interface goes linux is way more flexible than windows in that department.. I have mine setup so that when it goes into the login screen it has that windows mg pic of matt in the background and plays a snippet of hello timebomb... and that was done in ubuntu without using the terminal at all whereas in order to do something similar with windows (which is the startup page not the login) you have to use either really difficult scripts or software in order to do it... anyhow... and as far as support goes ive been using ubuntu's forum pages and it has been much more helpful than anytime i've had to call microsoft in the past... for one... their webpage has never put me on hold for 45 minutes...

Edited by bobbyshane

The majority of users demand 3 things --> security, reliability and ease of use. Now mine and your definitions of ease of use vary greatly from an average computer user. I'm talking people who find it difficult to program the VCR. While I agree to a large extent that fundamentally Linux is the better OS, it trails Windows in one regard and thats the ease of use for the average user. On a fresh install I spend the greatest majority of my time cutting shit out of windows so it doesn't annoy the hell out of me.

I'd like to see a good port of Mac OS... that may be a complete package of an OS.

yeah sometimes I forget that some people can't program their vcr's... they shouldn't even call it program... makes it sound so technical... seriously most vcr's other than putting in the time (which any moron can do when they know when the show comes on and when it ends)there's usually only like maybe 3 buttons to push... that's hardly any kind of programming... it's more like setting a watch... what am I talking about most people can't do that either... eh... oh well...