Outtahere

Snowaxe and Gandalf?

I'm listening to the podcast posted by Williammunny11 in the link below and he says that MGB were supposed to be called Snowaxe or Gandalf... a quick Google search returnes a couple of results that say the same thing but none of them have any source. To my recollection, this is the first time I ever hear those names. When did Matt say this?

https://soundcloud.com/geek-usa/episode-54-matthew-good

Edited by Tips

Hey all...I can't remember where I heard it (I think during an interview back in the MGB days) but it was also cited on Wikipedia.  As I say in the podcast, I am infinitely grateful that they decided to go with "Matthew Good Band"...but if anyone knows the backstory I would love to hear it as well.

I have also heard the Snowaxe story before. MGB was a working title while in the studio and then by the time Alabama Motel Room/one of the singles from LOTGA was released to the radio, the name had stuck so there was no going back. I don't have a source, but I remember Matt was talking about it in the context of why he wore the monkey mask during the BM days.

Guest Idioteque

I think I recall an interview where Matt said he never wanted to be a solo artist, he wanted to be a band like The Who or The Police. So they tried going with Gandalf since he's a Tolkien fan but radio stations kept announcing their music under  "Matthew Good Band" so it stuck. 

Guest Idioteque

Reading Matt's old Manifestos I finally found the answer to Snowaxe.

Actually we had planned to call the band SNOWAXE but Alabama Motel Room was released to radio while we were on the road and we were stuck with MGB.

Edited by Idioteque

Snowaxe is a way better name than MGB. It's totally awesome. And then people would stop saying they're seeing "Matthew Good Band" when they go to see Matt solo because his name wouldn't have been associated with MGB. I have heard people still call him/his band Matthew Good Band. It's so weird.

They also tried out that Matthew Good ... and his Band moniker for the Vancouver (???) tour as well, which was confusing in the same way as you mention.

Funny thing is, Blake and Stu have been with Matt longer (yes, I know, with some exceptions) than Dave/Ian/Rich/Geoff were at this point.