This band is responsible for a few of my personal favourite songs that I've ever heard. They are such great nostalgic (to me anyway) songs. They would be That Song, Blown Wide Open, The Oaf and maybe one or two more. Unfortunately they only made one fantastic album, but what a great it is. In Loving Memory Of.... The only slight problem I have with it is that the singles are of such quality that it kind of makes the album uneven. There are other great songs but some of it falls a little short by comparison. But, that doesn't really affect much because it is still one of my all-time favourites. Look What I Found, Under the Lighthouse and Overemphasizing are some other particular highlights and there's still more greatness. This is quality musicianship.

This band is responsible for a few of my personal favourite songs that I've ever heard.

:angry: ;) :angry:

but yeah, they were alright. never picked up an album though. thornley kinda seems like a chris cornell knockoff amirite? i like his voice, but i can't help but think it...

Like it's that ridiculous that I think so highly of those songs. Ian definitely sometimes sounds Cornell-ish but I don't think he's trying to be a rip off. I think I might prefer his vocals over Cornell's at times.

Yeah "That song" is the epitome of alt.rock in the 90's I think. Love most of that album.

The Pleasure and the Greed and Thornley were good, but they lacked an ingredient. it's not unlike what happened to Matt's albums after MGB dismantled. I think if he had the right band mate to collaborate, he could produce more songs of that caliber.

In loving memory of was very beat driven, and wouldn't have been as successful without the right drumming, sort of like Nevermind. That could have something to do with the drop-off in quality. I do'nt know much about the band or their second guitarist, but In loving memory of was definitely a collaborative effort, as great a guitarist as Ian is.

Edited by heyrabbit

in loving memory of ... = the epitome of Can Rock

it's one of those records that will always remind me of being 12/13. that, Underdogs, Make a Pest a Pet, The Edges of Twilight, Bellaclava...

it was a great day for CanCon to be enforced.

When I bought my first stereo, I bought copies of Loving Memory Of and Underdogs. That was back when I was 13 and MuchMusic was my only source of music, it was my rule that I had to hear 2 songs by a band that I liked before I bought their album. With Big Wreck it as That Song that sold me on buying the album. Still a fantastic song.

Edit: also at my high school graduation, I won a $30 gift card for a music store, and I bought a copy of Pleasure And The Greed. not as great as Loving Memory but still a quality album.

Edited by sodamntired

Yeah Snatch. I think the mid is turned up, which makes it sound all flat. Plus the reverb must be at 11, along with a delay pedal. his voice is also really condensed. it sounds like it's comin out of an FM radio, reminiscent of hearing "that song" on the radio.

beautifully produced I think. great mixing

i follow snatchy, it's not the guitar, it's the sound quality as a whole. when played through a system it shouldn't sound as mono as it does.

which is why i disagree with the "beautifully produced I think. great mixing" statement. excellently performed, but horribly mixed.

It is really flat, yeah, but I'm saying I think it's flat because of their instrument, not the recording. But I don't know anything about production. Even if it comparatively sucks, i don't care becuase I'm not a sound quality snob.

the tone is super soft on their guitars, which is going to make it sound flat coming straight out of the amp.

I think they did a great song mixing, especially with the vocals and the 2nd guitar parts. without that the song wouldn't be the same. and that's why the song never sounds quite right when played live.

does pleasure & the greed still sound mono to you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxirraApE3k&feature=related

dang, they sharpened that tone

Edited by heyrabbit