daniel_v

In The Bedroom...

Opposition raises questions about Berniers ex-girlfriend's ties to Hells Angels

When I first read this article I thought the issue was a waste of time. After thinking about it some more I still think its a waste of time.

For those of you to lazy to read the article, apparently Bernier's ex girlfriend (who he was dating when he was sworn in as Minister of Foreign Affairs) at one time (not sure how long ago this was because it didn't say) had links to the Hell's Angels and Rockers biker gangs because she dated one of their members and was married to another. Basically the opposition is useing question period to try and make it look like a possible past security risk and ask if she ever had access to ministerial documents.

The only credible reason I could see for the Bloc and the Liberals bringing something like this up is if they have actual proof of wrong doing that they're just sitting on for a little bit before they decide to release the info. If not in my opinion this could easily backfire on them.

Just curious if anyone else has an opinion on the issue.

Guest Prosis

It's bullshit as far as I'm concerned...it's absolutely none of our business. She's not a criminal, and neither is he (as far as we know of course).

This is just a fucking story the media jumped on to sell copies and, of course, opposition is going to make it they're main weapon for a couple of days...because, quite frankly, no one in the parliament gives a fuck about making anything better in this country (and they wouldn't know how anyway) except if it makes them and their friends money...so, they'd rather LOOK like they're actually doing something and are not complete incompetent idiots...so they attack this guy with "the population's security at heart".

Although I do agree that my tax dollars were wasted when they took the time to actually debate this in parliment, I do understand the government's concern in making sure they are not allowing people with shady histories to close to the most powerful people in the country. From what I understand, because of her association with the Hell's Angels, she was once on their hitlist. For all we know, she could still be a marked woman and they just let the Hell's Angels know that she was associated for a breif period with the most powerful people in the country, including the Minister of Justice. Asking an individual to paying a small fee for a background check before you get on a jet with the Prime Minister or before you have access to any of the offices in the Parliment Buildings doesn't hurt.

Having said that, the opposition had absolutely no right to be bringing up the issue and expose the private lives of members of parliment. Beyond the fact that it has the potential to be a security risk, it's completely unprofessional to spend an hour debating tabloid fodder.

Edited by MissEmily

Guest Prosis

Someone close to someone in the government being on the Hell's Angels hitlist doesn't mean a threat to national security...

Guest Prosis

Of course yes, but are they going to debate every potentially dangerous personal relationship?

That's what I mean, it's none of our business...

Someone close to someone in the government being on the Hell's Angels hitlist doesn't mean a threat to national security...

She can be blackmailed into doing favours for them. Its happened before. The Kennedy's were well tied into the mafia back in the day.