Doormat

So Close To Nuclear Asplosion.

Not really. The likelyhood of a nuclear warhead detonating properly in an accidental collision is extremely low. Even if the conventional explosives packed into the nuke explode (don't get me wrong, that's still a lot of explosives) the weapon is unlikley to go supercritical and begin a fission or fusion reaction unless it was detonated on purpose (requiring a precise sequence of events to occur within the warhead to achieve an actual nuclear blast.) Radiological contamintion, however, is a certainty in that scenario, assuming the hull of the sub is breached. The fissionable core of the weapon will be blown apart and spread into the surrounding water.

Anyway. I guess it was bound to happen some day. Probability and all that.

Not really. The likelyhood of a nuclear warhead detonating properly in an accidental collision is extremely low. Even if the conventional explosives packed into the nuke explode (don't get me wrong, that's still a lot of explosives) the weapon is unlikley to go supercritical and begin a fission or fusion reaction unless it was detonated on purpose (requiring a precise sequence of events to occur within the warhead to achieve an actual nuclear blast.) Radiological contamintion, however, is a certainty in that scenario, assuming the hull of the sub is breached. The fissionable core of the weapon will be blown apart and spread into the surrounding water.

Anyway. I guess it was bound to happen some day. Probability and all that.

How about if they noticed that they hit something?

"Oh shit! The Russians"

*Both subs fire torpedoes*

*Both subs fire torpedoes*

At that distance, a single torpedo from either sub would most likely destroy both. Shockwaves from submarine explosions are a lot more damaging than shock waves in atmosphere. Of course, with torpedo tubes generally mounted forward (sometimes aft) that would mean the submarines would probably have had to collide head-on....guaranteeing major damage to both unless they were both travelling dead slow. Even then...6 or 7 thousand tons makes for a lot of inertia.

Still, it's unlikely the nukes would go off.I haven't been following closely....were they missile subs or hunter-killers? the H-Ks would generally be nuclear powered, but not armed with nuclear weapons.

Edited by Sparq

Maneuver for a firing solution. In that case, the sub with the rear-firing tubes has the advantage, assuming the collision was a head-on sideswipe. In the current political climate, a direct confrontation seems....unlikely. Especially in the Atlantic.

For the record, I don't know whether modern subs usually have aft tubes. My knowledge is primarily air and land, theoretical and current weapons. Naval surface ships next. Sub-surface last.

Edited by Sparq