interested in new alice in chains? probably not, eh?

that's ok. it sounds like solo jerry cantrell, if you wanted to know. i'm ok with that, if you care. i still don't understand why they have to call it alice in chains when it's obviously gonna be a cantrell record, but who gives a fuck.

i love you, jerry cantrell.

my point was that william duvall and his afro haven't made it sound like anything but jerry cantrell.

with someone other than layne harmonizing.

my point was that there is a difference between solo cantrell and alice in chains, and this alice in chains sounds like solo jc, ah fuck off computer. you asshole.

Edited by mrs jesus

i still don't understand why they have to call it alice in chains when it's obviously gonna be a cantrell record, but who gives a fuck.

Same reason Billy Corgan decided to call his last solo album a Smashing Pumpkins album. Name recognition.

ugh, but jc was already recognized as a solo artist. i refuse to believe that.

so have you heard the new song or what? come on, i want to know.

True, he was already recognized as a solo artist, but nowhere near as recognized as Alice in Chains is.

also, I have not heard the new song.

macauley, it gets better if you hear it more than once. i think it's too long, but i am actually surprised by how good it is. maybe i'm biased cause they are my favorite band ever, or maybe i'm just a cantrell fangirl, i dunno. i wanted another jc solo album more than i wanted an alice album with a singer that wasn't layne, and if this song is any indication of what the record will sound like, i think i'm getting what i want, no matter what they're calling it. so i am more optimistic about this than i previously thought i'd be. i don't really understand what you mean when you say that it doesn't sound like they've learned anything since 1990 though. if you think that song sounds like anything from facelift - or any alice song at ALL, to be honest - then we're clearly not hearing the same band.

i agree the song is too long. that's not to say it won't grow on me, but i think it's a mistake to release a 7 minute song and have that be what we base our first impressions on. to my understanding, cantrell has been writing longer and longer pieces in his solo work (and to be honest, AIC were never that succinct), but the length of this song detracts from any memorable riffs or hooks that might rise above the sludge.

the vocals are harmonized nicely, but they're a bit low in the mix. that, coupled with the shitty reverb effect makes them sound really washed out and bereft of any character... a lot of times they just sound like they're mumbling. what made layne's vocal style such a great match for AIC was how it almost worked as a counterpoint to the heaviness of the rest of the band... he cut right through and was unmistakable.

no, i don't think they sound like the AIC of yesteryear, but i don't really think they sound like a modern metal band either. there's nothing new or really relevant about what they're doing on this song. i don't expect them to be fucking radiohead or making fucking blip metal like genghis tron but for the love of god change things up a bit. just because they've opted for a less formulaic song structure doesn't mean that they're light years ahead of where they used to be... they just sound heavier and more polished, which relates more to production than it does songwriting.

i agree the song is too long. that's not to say it won't grow on me, but i think it's a mistake to release a 7 minute song and have that be what we base our first impressions on. to my understanding, cantrell has been writing longer and longer pieces in his solo work (and to be honest, AIC were never that succinct), but the length of this song detracts from any memorable riffs or hooks that might rise above the sludge.

the vocals are harmonized nicely, but they're a bit low in the mix. that, coupled with the shitty reverb effect makes them sound really washed out and bereft of any character... a lot of times they just sound like they're mumbling. what made layne's vocal style such a great match for AIC was how it almost worked as a counterpoint to the heaviness of the rest of the band... he cut right through and was unmistakable.

no, i don't think they sound like the AIC of yesteryear, but i don't really think they sound like a modern metal band either. there's nothing new or really relevant about what they're doing on this song. i don't expect them to be fucking radiohead or making fucking blip metal like genghis tron but for the love of god change things up a bit. just because they've opted for a less formulaic song structure doesn't mean that they're light years ahead of where they used to be... they just sound heavier and more polished, which relates more to production than it does songwriting.

you make sense. it's refreshing to see an unbiased opinion. i can't tell you how much i want to blow shit up after reading what people are saying about it at the aic board. i swear to god, if i read one more person saying they can hear layne on the song, i am going to end up in jail. i like the song, and i'm glad as fuck to have it but come the fuck on.