Sly Botts

Video Card memories

Hi guys,

So are there any PC gamers on here? If so, tell me if you can remember your first gaming video card and if you had a favourite period for PC gaming. I'll start.

My first gaming card was a Diamond Monstet 3D Voodoo II 8mb 3D accelerator. It ran best with Glide vs the standard Direct 3D which is the most common these days. Basically Glide was a form of Open GL.

After that I moved onto a Voodoo 3 16mb card, Riva TNT 32mb, Geforce 4 MX 64mb, Radeon 9800 pro 128mb, EVGA Geforce 8800 Gt 512mb, EVGA Geforce GTX 560 ti 1Gb then to my current ASUS Geforce GTX 760 direct cu ii OC 2GB card. I'm saving for an ASUS GTX 1070 8GB card.

Best card I had for performance and life span vs money spent is my current GTX 760 which i bought for 220 in 2014 and was already almost 2 years old when I bought it. (It still plays new games fairly well at high settings with some tweeking) followed by the Radeon 9800. A good card.

Best era for PC gaming for me was the late 90's. Red alert, xwing alliance, half life, unreal, descent freespace, resident evil, star trek games gallore, star wars games gallore (ie; dark forces 1 and 2). Summoner, list goes on and on.

What about you guys?

My first graphics card was the Voodoo 3 2000 (16mb). I bought it so I could play Unreal Tournament, among other 3D games.  That must have been right around the time Beautiful Midnight came out.

My favorite period for PC gaming was the mid-90's, or around the time of Doom/Doom 2, X-Com, Tie Fighter, Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall, adventure games galore etc.  In other words, the time between when the 1st Doom game came out to just before games started getting true 3D in the late 90's (where you needed the 3D graphics cards, where the games all started to look the same because they were using the same graphics engines).

Around 1993-1994 I got my first PC.  I had grown up on console 8-bit and 16-bit games, and at this time the SNES/Genesis era was winding down and the Playstation/N64 era was beginning and they just didn't appeal to me as much as the games on my PC.  I never owned a PS1 or N64 until the very end of their life cycle in the early 2000's.  After the early 2000's, PC Gaming was just too expensive to keep up with and console games I found were getting better with Xbox and PS2 so I mostly left PC gaming after that.

PC gaming also seemed pretty rad in the late 80's and early 90's too.

I was born in 86 so by the time I had money to buy video cards it was already into the early 2000's, I'm pretty sure the first card I bought was an ATI Radeon, can't remember which one specifically though.

The best era for pc gaming will probably be during whatever your formative years were, for me that would be early 90's. My dad was a programmer so we always had a pc at home, I remember loading games off 5" and 3.5" floppies and then running them in MSDos. I used to play tons of (sometimes shareware) games like Commander keen, Wolfenstein, Doom, Captain Comic, Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem (and Duke Nukem 2), Moraff's World, Police Quest, Space Quest, and probably lots of other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

I was born in 86 so by the time I had money to buy video cards it was already into the early 2000's, I'm pretty sure the first card I bought was an ATI Radeon, can't remember which one specifically though.

The best era for pc gaming will probably be during whatever your formative years were, for me that would be early 90's. My dad was a programmer so we always had a pc at home, I remember loading games off 5" and 3.5" floppies and then running them in MSDos. I used to play tons of (sometimes shareware) games like Commander keen, Wolfenstein, Doom, Captain Comic, Jill of the Jungle, Duke Nukem (and Duke Nukem 2), Moraff's World, Police Quest, Space Quest, and probably lots of other stuff I can't remember at the moment.

For me those games were what got me started on PC gaming. I mean I remember some stuff from the 80's but I was really too small.  The early 90's though.. man I had a 386 with all those games! :)