Moonlight_Graham

Part Deux - Where Do U Stand?

If an election is held today, who do vote for? (in this minority govt u never know)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If an election is held today, who do vote for? (in this minority govt u never know)

• Paul Martin - Liberal
    • Stephen Harper - Conservative
    • Jack Layton - NDP
    • Gilles Duceppe - BLOC
    • Jim Harris - Green
    • other

The Conservative's proposal for creating greater accountability in government sounds interesting.

-Set a $1,000 limit on personal donations to a political party, and ban corporate and union donations.

"This means no more big interests lobbying the prime minister behind closed doors at $5,000-a-ticket cocktail parties."

-Ban cash donations of more than $20. This could halt the common practice of big-money donors funneling thousands in cash contributions through friends, family and associates.

-Ban former cabinet ministers, ministerial staffers, or senior public officials from lobbying government for five years.

-Require all ministers and senior officials to keep records of their contacts with lobbyists.

-Set out penalties that would enforce the Lobbyists Registration Act and make the lobbyists' registrar an officer of Parliament: "Politics will no longer be a stepping stone to a lucrative career lobbying government."

-Create a public-appointments commission to set merit-based requirements for appointments to government boards, commissions and agencies.

-Broaden the auditor general's role, allowing her not just to investigate government spending but also to follow the money trail to political parties.

-Hire a new procurement auditor to monitor government contracts.

-Ban trust funds for individual candidates' campaigns.

-Establish cash rewards for whistleblowers who expose wrongdoing or save taxpayer dollars. (don't like this idea)

-Extend the Access to Information Act to cover Crown corporations, and review the current exemption of cabinet secrets from the act.

(highlights my own, of things I especially like)

Well, yeah!

Of course they're going to say that to make themselves look good, that's what everyone wnats out of parties, but the NDP and Greens will be the only one who would support this.

i really have little faith in the voting system these days. i don't agree with forcing people to group together or to identify as one "side"/"party" rather than another. nothing is ever black and white. taking sides and making divides isn't my ideal way of running things.

as much as i agree with what the NDP and green parties have to say, i have serious doubt that they're actually qualified to do the job. but that's just me. they seem to lack experience.

i think if i had to vote, i'd choose the liberals just so that the conservatives don't win.

i know what you mean about black and white.

I would never vote anything right of NDP, but i am actually pretty conservative on things like economy and social programs and abortion, but i don't feel strongly enough to change my opinion.

Maybe it's not even that i'm at all conservative about those things, it's just i don't agree with the Left's general consensus.