Moonlight_Graham

Part Deux - Where Do U Stand?

If an election is held today, who do vote for? (in this minority govt u never know)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If an election is held today, who do vote for? (in this minority govt u never know)

• Paul Martin - Liberal
    • Stephen Harper - Conservative
    • Jack Layton - NDP
    • Gilles Duceppe - BLOC
    • Jim Harris - Green
    • other

People on this board are young. A lot of young people vote NDP. What else can you expect.

Reminds me of a funny quote from Rudy Guliani i heard a few years ago. He's a Republican of course, but when asked if he was always a Republican he sayed no, and that when he was younger he was a Democrat. He then said "If you're not a Democrat in your 20's you have no heart, and if you're not a Republican by your 40's you have no brain". It was in mostly jest, i thought it was funny. (please save the obvious Bush comments)

Edited by Moonlight_Graham

i still like the greens, basically cuz none of the others are offering much right now to the prople of canada. too bad we dont have pro-rep yet, then the greens might have a shot at getting some seats.

Well, you should also know that if a party gets more than 2% of the vote they get $1.75 for each vote. So that's some incentive to vote the way you want, even if that person doesn't necessarily win. And that money helps smaller parties like the Greens much more than a larger party.

People on this board are young. A lot of young people vote NDP. What else can you expect.

Reminds me of a funny quote from Rudy Guliani i heard a few years ago. He's a Republican of course, but when asked if he was always a Republican he sayed no, and that when he was younger he was a Democrat. He then said "If you're not a Democrat in your 20's you have no heart, and if you're not a Republican by your 40's you have no brain". It was in mostly jest, i thought it was funny. (please save the obvious Bush comments)

I like the one that goes "You can go from being a Liberal to a conservative in 20 years without changing a single belief" better.

I don't believe in government so none of them. But if somebody was going to blow my brains out unless I voted, then NDP.

You make it sound as if it's bad having SOME sort of voice in collective affairs. I say run with what you got and demand more at the same time. Adapting an "all or nothing" sort of platform seems overly naive and optimistic to me.

I don't believe in government so none of them. But if somebody was going to blow my brains out unless I voted, then NDP.

You make it sound as if it's bad having SOME sort of voice in collective affairs. I say run with what you got and demand more at the same time. Adapting an "all or nothing" sort of platform seems overly naive and optimistic to me.

Well my friend i would like to believe that I did have a voice in collective affairs, but who really does? Although you are entitled to your opinion, i don

Well my friend i would like to believe that I did have a voice in collective affairs, but who really does?

Even you must admit that voting (in what an angst anarchist would call "bourgeoisie elections") has SOME effect, no matter how small it is. Even just voting for a party for the 1.25 (or whatever) donation can help, or simply sending a message to the donimant parties that they need to change (The more votes for the NDP, the more the Liberals will adapt NDP platforms). I understand that your unsatisfied with that measly voice, and that you want to have MORE say, but I simply don't understand why you would deny yourself the small voice you ARE given. I say run with it and demand more on the way. Your small voice can influence your own voice potential growing. And it's not like not voting is going to change anything for the better.

Although you are entitled to your opinion, i don

People on this board are young.  A lot of young people vote NDP.  What else can you expect.

Reminds me of a funny quote from Rudy Guliani i heard a few years ago.  He's a Republican of course, but when asked if he was always a Republican he sayed no, and that when he was younger he was a Democrat.  He then said "If you're not a Democrat in your 20's you have no heart, and if you're not a Republican by your 40's you have no brain".  It was in mostly jest, i thought it was funny. (please save the obvious Bush comments)

I like the one that goes "You can go from being a Liberal to a conservative in 20 years without changing a single belief" better.

The Democrats aren't really Liberals though, they are right, the Republicans just go farther right than the Democrats.

There's something wrong with the poll. We all have the option of voting for the Bloc when we in reality we cannot, unless you live in Quebec and Newbrunswick (I think the Bloc has candidates in Newbrunswick).

That quote was actually stolen from Winston Churchill:

"If you're not a liberal when you're 20, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative when you're 40, you have no head."

Well, you should also know that if a party gets more than 2% of the vote they get $1.75 for each vote.  So that's some incentive to vote the way you want, even if that person doesn't necessarily win.  And that money helps smaller parties like the Greens much more than a larger party.

I swear, that you and i are the only Canadians who know this. I hate when people say that their vote will do nothing...

I will vote NDP in the next election, but i must say that i've been doing a lot of thinking about anarchism and communism, and other alternative politics. I think that big business influence needs to be weeded out of politics before people really have a say.

EDIT:

only have 'em in Quebec

not true. the Bloc is in NB, yo.

I heard a cool quote once. Something to the effect of "Conservatives are like cement, thoroughly mixed up and solidly stuck." I liked it.

Edited by Dan #2

The Conservative's proposal for creating greater accountability in government sounds interesting.

-Set a $1,000 limit on personal donations to a political party, and ban corporate and union donations.

"This means no more big interests lobbying the prime minister behind closed doors at $5,000-a-ticket cocktail parties."

-Ban cash donations of more than $20. This could halt the common practice of big-money donors funneling thousands in cash contributions through friends, family and associates.

-Ban former cabinet ministers, ministerial staffers, or senior public officials from lobbying government for five years.

-Require all ministers and senior officials to keep records of their contacts with lobbyists.

-Set out penalties that would enforce the Lobbyists Registration Act and make the lobbyists' registrar an officer of Parliament: "Politics will no longer be a stepping stone to a lucrative career lobbying government."

-Create a public-appointments commission to set merit-based requirements for appointments to government boards, commissions and agencies.

-Broaden the auditor general's role, allowing her not just to investigate government spending but also to follow the money trail to political parties.

-Hire a new procurement auditor to monitor government contracts.

-Ban trust funds for individual candidates' campaigns.

-Establish cash rewards for whistleblowers who expose wrongdoing or save taxpayer dollars. (don't like this idea)

-Extend the Access to Information Act to cover Crown corporations, and review the current exemption of cabinet secrets from the act.

(highlights my own, of things I especially like)