Matt

Bc Teachers Should Get Back To Work

Unions are about fighting to exercise control over your job. Why should teachers have to "get another job?" They want better treatment for the jobs they have, and there's nothing wrong with them standing up and demanding it. Workers do have the right to strike, and the international agreements guaranteeing this that Canada is signatory to take precedence over provincial law - in other words, it's illegal to legislate teachers back to work.

It's been done by other governments before the Liberals and no one ever called that illegal, so precendent shows it's not. Also the employeer has a right to decide the conditions of employement and if people do not like it they have a right to look else where for work.

Edited by Matt

It's been done by other governments before the Liberals and no one ever called that illegal, so precendent shows it's not. Also the employeer has a right to decide the conditions of employement and if people do not like it they have a right to look else where for work.

You can't make a strike illegal! International agreements to which Canada is signatory guarantee the right to strike, and are are part of the "supreme law of the land" which supercede provincial law. Sorry, guy, the Liberals are the ones breaking the law, as usual. There was plenty of furor when the NDP did it, you probably just don't remember.

As for employers having the right to set the terms of employment - wrong. Terms of employment are decided by agreement between employer and employee. That's the way it works, it's just that often the employee isn't in a position to influence the terms, so they're told to "take it or leave it." That's what unions are for - giving employees a voice in the negotiations over terms of employment.

Edited by Bizud

So many other countries "break international law", but this an illegal strike, we should have a right to create our own laws without interference. The teachers do have the right to strike when the kids are not in class, that's all the employer is trying to do, keep the children in class. While the teachers continually try to undermine that for more money. Hopefully, that will change today when the vote results are announced by the union to end the strike or not. Also there was minimal anger towards the NDP when they did it, nothing like there is now. Beyond that the BCTF is never satisfied with any of their contracts within the last fifteen years, they never want to compromise, that's part of the reason legislation like essential services had to be created, to keep the children in the classroom. Negotiation is a compromise, so the fact the BCTF doesn't compromise only shows why they are on strike. The government cannot and should not give into everything the union asks for. Unions have become too powerful now too, in the old days, yes they were good, but many of them now are not nearly as good. There's too many strikes, and for what? Many of their members may not be set for life, but they have enough money to at least get by if not more, their working conditions are usually fairly good, so they should not be on strike. People make choices when they go into a certain job, if they do not like the pay, then perhaps they should look elsewhere, instead of whining about the pay once they get the job.

Edited by Matt

University LECTURES are 300 students usually, and in university there are Tutorials, which are only about 25 students, max. If you look at it like that, tutorials are even smaller than High School classes, mind you, T.A's get paid shitty.

Nevertheless, whatever is going on in BC, if it is any similar to what happend here in Toronto, I'm with the teachers. I've actually been a Teacher Assistant for the past 4 years at High Schools and Elementary schools, and it takes A LOT away from the classes when there are 38 students to teach. You have to remember, elementary and high school students do not have half the maturity that most University and College students have. Tutorials are usually one hours and the students sit there and acutally listen, the T.A. doesnt have to do much to get their attention In an elementary school or high school it is VERY difficult to get a class of 38 students to settle down.

I really haven't looked at the entire debate, I just skimmed through it, so if i sound ignorant, i apologizes, im just putting in my two-cents from the experience i've had.

Oh ya, by the way, try settling down the class when a majority of it thinks they're 50 Cent (not a shot at black people, since the majority of the class was white).

I actually think that a University style classrooms in highschool is whats needed. I had a teacher who tought the classroom much in the same manner as a University one, and it worked well, yes he had to be a bit strict to have the children pay attention at first but once they realized their "crap wouldn't fly" it went by smoothly. So, I think it can work quite well, the more relaxed situations is where trouble comes in. Many children take advantage of this and have entire conversations around you while the teacher does nothing until it disturbs the entire class. However, it's still a major disruption anyways.

Anyways though, the teachers are back, so luckily the kids will finally get what they should have had all along, an education.