finboy

Dave Genn's Pedal Board (audio Of Being Era)

so a while ago, i decided to take a screen shot of dave genn's pedal board and put it on a guitar forum i'm on. they were able to go through it and translate most of the pedals that were on it.

here it is if anyone wants to know...

gennpedalboardyy9.jpg

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showth...light=translate

a couple of notes, the digitech whammy is likely a WH1, slightly different from the re-issues, and from what i can gather, it's responsible for the dieing battery sound at the end of "man of action" (just got one in last night and was able to replicate the sound. also, the delay unit is a klemt echolette ng-51, as mentioned in the much music going costal special presentation of the making of "the audio of being" thatit is matt's brothers.

thought it might be interesting for any of the guitarists on here.

boss = dead on reliability and easily modded. if you don't want to pay boss prices, behringer makes copies of boss pedals that kind of sit in a grey area of the legal system because they are from china i believe, and we all know how much china respects copy right laws. but at $30 each on ebay, hard to complain, makes it cheap to try out a bunch of different pedals.

Edited by finboy

left to right, top row then bottom...

row 1

digitech whammy (likely wh1), E-bow, digitech xp-200 modulation station, electro harmonix dr. q (95% sure on this, it looks like a vintage one)

row 2

z-vex fuzz factory, boss os-2, boss dm-2, ibanez ts-9, boss bd-2

off screen

kelmt echolette ng-51

EDIT: if someone knows where i can find the vid again, i can confirm the electro harmonix dr.q, its not a very obvious effect on the album from what i can tell, but the screen cap i made is quite blurry, and the video got taken down a couple of times.

Edit 2: of the thread i posted, most of those posting on the pedals haven't heard the audio of being, or matthew good at all, so while their thoughts might vary from the above list, simple logic from hearing the album dictates the choices. EX. while a lot of the z-vex pedals might look like theo ones posted above, the fuzz factory is the most likely (or only) pedal that will give the sounds like the solo in the fall of man.

Edited by finboy

Dave always said his "secret weapon" was the OLD MXR Dynacomps. I heard he had BOXES of 'em. If he does then I want one. The lil' bastard bought 'em all!!!

you have no idea how useful that is, thanks a ton.

he's coming to calgary in march with 54-40, i'm really tempted to go just to see what he's using on his pedal board now, but my friends suck at music taste so i've got no one to drag along

Edited by finboy

boss = dead on reliability and easily modded. if you don't want to pay boss prices, behringer makes copies of boss pedals that kind of sit in a grey area of the legal system because they are from china i believe, and we all know how much china respects copy right laws. but at $30 each on ebay, hard to complain, makes it cheap to try out a bunch of different pedals.

I have a Boss BF-2 Flanger and the SYB-5 bass synth and they're incredible.

Thanks for the post, I always wondered what sort of gear he was using to create some of those sounds. It's quite the set-up.

I'm just rocking the Boss ME-50 and MD-2.

The multiple effects pedal is intermediate level but can create some wicked effects. And the distortion I love, together there killer.

Edited by julianzz

Guest girl

Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qbsDgP8fc

Matthew Good Band - Going Coastal - Part 1, The Making of Audio Being

• Dave's "trinkets and toys" are on the table at 5:33.

I also took pictures of Dave, and his pedals on stage, when he played with Holly McNarland at the Stampede on July 10, 2002. I was in the first row. You can't see the pedals on stage, up close, but you can vaguely see the colors of them. I can post them here, if you want.

Edited by girl

That third picture is the best. "Is she taking pictures of my goddamn pedal board?"

Those Going Coastal videos are absolutely priceless to the nostalgic part of my brain. Part of me wants to download them just in case the original uploader ever takes them down.