Lovage's "Music to Make Love To Your Old Lady By" is one of my favourite albums. Mike's got this raspy, greasy, pervy sounding voice, and it's absolutely magnificent.

Oh man the first and only time I listened to that album it made me CRINGE. It's definitely not one of my favourite side projects.

I've just been listening to some of his stuff again (FNM, some Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk) and shhhiiiit! If there was ever a vocalist that could make you jealous of his abilities this is the guy. He is truly the most utterly broad, vast vocalist I have ever heard. It seriously seems he can do it all. Everything and in between. He's a very good straight up singer with a large amount of range, he can do almost any style you can think of and all or most very well that I've heard and he can scream like no other. And I mean some very insane, interesting screaming that sounds inhuman at times. Not just "let's see how typically loud and aggressive I can possibly scream for the sake of it". I know you know, I just want to express how phenomenal I think his voice is. What's to say about FNM that hasn't been said before? They're broad and excellent and very influential. They did a lot of stuff more modern bands do as good (or close to, depending) and better. I think my favourite albums by them are Angel Dust and Album of the Year actually. KFAD is very good and varied but I think overall AOTY takes the cake between those two for me.

Now on to the other side. I'm not one of these (seemingly very common) mega passionate fans who thinks he is almighty and can do no wrong. At the same time as all that positivity I think Mike Patton has been involved in a very decent amount of genuine garbage. Some too noisy, too random, too stupid stuff where I don't consider it music at all. I think although it's all so strange that the Mr. Bungle album has a lot of really (goodly) unique and interesting stuff on it but there's still a good amount I don't care for much at all. Disco Volante is mostly too far gone and California is more sane and decent. I won't even say much at all about Fantomas other than from what I've heard it's mostly wasted time and space. Tomahawk has some really decent to good stuff and I recall thinking Peeping Tom was mostly shit and don't see why anyone would think it's anything remotely close to great.

Anyways, that's enough for now. I'll just say I am well mixed with my opinions of Mike's work but he is just so skilled and an utter vocal genious to be denied. He is not nearly as widely known as he should be. This doesn't mean he's my personal favourite vocalist, but he is definitely a talent to be reckoned with.

riiiight. so you champion the guy for his abilities, and yet denounce anything he's done that remotely challenges your conception of what constitutes "music??" i think he's done some of his best work with fantomas and mr. bungle, but i like his more conventional stuff too; there's something for everybody.

yes you can. just because i disagree with what you say doesn't mean that i think you're "wrong"... you can think whatever you'd like about mr. patton and his music. i just think you should give some of his other projects a second chance, that's all. no reason to get defencive.

Edited by borntohula