RicardoObviouso

Calling All Chefs (or Anyone Who's Cooked Before)

I'm trying to make chocolate covered strawberries.

i bought a bag of Manjari 64% baking chocolate (thomas haas said it was damn good) and it came in chunks about an 1" long, 1/2" wide and a 1/8" thick.

i've searched google for a good metheod of melting this chocolate so i can dip strawberries into it, but they all seem hard to follow.

if anyone here has done it before and has a set of decent, easy-to-follow instructions... please post them here. thanks.

From my experience, I don't think that it's too much of a problem, if the bottom of your bowl touches the boiling water a little. I think the worry about the hot water touching the sides of the bowl, is that it might roll down into the chocolate unbeknownst to you...

If you don't understand why you're doing the double boiler thing, it's because you don't want to burn the chocolate.

Your other, non-water option, is to melt it in the microwave. Just turn the setting down way low and check it every 30 seconds, and stir it.

EDIT: And the water should be a gentle roll, not crazy super bubbly, just enough to heat the bottom of the pyrex/microwave safe bowl. Don't really need to worry about steam explosions or anything haha

Edited by Muran

If these are for your girlfriend, no, you do it yourself, son lol

Otherwise, go to freaking Rocky Mountain on Robson, and buy them there, geez XD

It's a "gentle roll" boil or something...just a little over a simmer. Think about it, it just needs to be hot enough to heat a glass surface, to melt chocolate. You could set a blow dryer to high and it would melt chocolate at some point XD

It's not rock science. haha

fine, i'll fucking do it myself.

as for buying them... i probably could have, but that kind of takes the romance out of it. i might actually get mr. thomas haas himself to help me. apparently he's all gung-ho about me doing this like its some kind of special feat... either that or he's looking to crack my remy martin louis xiii

Edited by mr. smithee