sodamntired

This Isn't A Thread Yet?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/sto...p-4801884c.html

Church set to protest at funeral

Says beheading of city man God's way of punishing us

By: Paul Gackle

Updated: August 7 at 02:00 AM CDT

Members of a notorious U.S. church that's been branded a hate group are coming to Winnipeg to protest at the funeral of Tim McLean Saturday.

A spokeswoman for the Westboro Baptist Church -- which is known for staging protests at funerals of American soldiers who have died in Iraq -- said seven members will picket outside the Westwood Community Church Saturday to let Canadians know that "God hates you, and it's because of your rebellion against his word that this child is dead."

Shirley Phelps-Roper, the daughter of Fred Phelps who heads the church in Topeka, Kansas, said the murder of Tim McLean was God's response to Canadian policies that allow homosexuality, abortion and adultery.

"Is it legal to have abortions up there? They are teaching you that God is a big fat liar (by making sins legal)," she said. "God sent that guy to do it."

Tim Dedelly, McLean's stepfather, declined to comment on the church's planned protest but said he had notified the police.

The horrifying murder of Tim McLean on a Greyhound bus just west of Portage la Prairie grabbed international headlines last week.

"Lo and behold, we were going to Canada and God offered us a gift. The curse of God was put upon you (Canada) when that young man's head was cut off," she said.

Mailloux said the Phelps-Roper's retributive beliefs are not reflective of Christian faith.

"That runs absolutely contrary to what is taught in the Bible," he said. "God loves all people, that is 100 per cent true. God will love us no matter how far from we stray from things. Who are they to judge?"

However, they got stopped at the border yesterday, so they may not actually make it into the country. The funeral is at a church about 10 minutes from my place. I'm going to try to be there, but hopefully the press won't be. Those bastards don't need any more publicity.

I was wondering if you were one of the people that went. I'm pretty impressed that you were. Those bastards have gone to a lot of funerals to stir up shit but as far as I know, no one has really stood up against them like that. I love Winnipeg!