sodamntired

My Observation

It seems like every time I go for dinner at a friend or family's house/apartment, it ends that same way.

the men transfer to the living room, sit on the couch, and discuss sports and business.

the women transfer to the kitchen, discuss recipes or family.

I am currently studying inter-personal relations in college, this is a point I would like to bring up in class to look like I actually read the text book.

Does this happen to anyone else? have they noticed this too? thank you.

christoffer, if you're interested in stuff like that, dont be an accountant. hahaha

but seriously, if you are interested, read why beautiful people have more daughters and anything by malcolm gladwell. the first one explains phenomenon like that and the second guy goes into much greater detail and is an incredible writer.

It seems like every time I go for dinner at a friend or family's house/apartment, it ends that same way.

the men transfer to the living room, sit on the couch, and discuss sports and business.

I am currently studying inter-personal relations in college, this is a point I would like to bring up in class to look like I actually read the text book.

Does this happen to anyone else? have they noticed this too? thank you.

i know it happens, but it doesn't really occur much in my family or my group of friends.

in the case of my family, we have an unwritten rule to stay out of the kitchen unless you're helping to prep/clean up... so while that might split things up in terms of genders, it doesn't really happen as much as you might think.

my group of friends is built around the bond between me and my guy friends... the girls in the group are predominantly our partners/girlfriends, so this kind of dynamic encourages the splitting of conversations between genders, but never to the point where we're in separate rooms. we're also not the type of guys to talk about sports, nor are our girlfriends really the types to chat about cooking, so that might be the reason why this split doesn't happen. not sure.

overall, i wouldn't be surprised if what you're noticing is a generational thing, or even an economical one.

p.s. are you sure the women always talk about family and cooking? and the men only sports and business? maybe this is just fulfilling/projecting some misogynistic fantasy of yours.

Edited by borntohula

there were a lot of parts of the lesson I could not see myself (a heterosexual male) a part of.

The lesson tells me that if there is a car accident, women are first to be concerned with the victims, if everyone is ok, men, are first concerned with the cars....and then the people.

I'm outside of this group. I don't come across the accident, look at the cars, and consider how much damage happened and how much its going to cost them to fix the cars.

there were a lot of parts of the lesson I could not see myself (a heterosexual male) a part of.

The lesson tells me that if there is a car accident, women are first to be concerned with the victims, if everyone is ok, men, are first concerned with the cars....and then the people.

I'm outside of this group. I don't come across the accident, look at the cars, and consider how much damage happened and how much its going to cost them to fix the cars.

i dont think that's true at all.

lol

and again, lol.

Profound insight there mate. ;)

Edit: You shouldn't underestimate yourself - this is fucking funny !

Edited by LonelyWreckage

replies to my post on the schools message board, I feel like I need, should, share.

"I think that is funny that you would bring that up. We have had a few gatherings at our house for birthday parties and things, and every time the women end up staying in the house to catch up with each other and what is new in our lives, and the men almost always end up out in the garage playing cards and smoking cigars!!

Dawn"

"I have had a few situations where I have observed the same thing. It eventually comes to a point where everyone joins into the conversation. Ones with meals and other female topics are mostly lead by the women with little input from the guys, and the ones about sports and business, unless one of the girls are into sports, is mostly lead by the men, with little input from the girls. Even then there isn't much passion behind what the guys are talking about unless they are bragging up themselves or their favorite team. "