sodamntired

Brittany Murphy Dies At 32

QUOTE (Moonlight_Graham @ Dec 22 2009, 07:28 PM) *

A child dies every 3 seconds from poverty-related causes yet most people don't give a shit.

QUOTE (Moonlight_Graham @ Dec 22 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Lots of people die, its life.

What i meant was that why do people make such a huge deal about individual celebs who die that they don't even know, while the obituaries in the newspaper are filled with individuals who die in similar fashions. Some famous people i can see as important, such as a political leader etc. or somebody who actually influenced the world in a meaningful way (good or bad).

These same people who care about one celeb dying most often don't care when millions of "faceless" people die en masse needlessly. Almost 10 million children under the age of 5 die of mostly preventable causes each year, which is completely f'ed up. That's not "just life".

Sad fact of the day.

I am Catholic (and I am really thinking about leaving the Church), but this is what upsets me. The Catholic Church has enough money to feed all the hungry in the world for one day. It is sad that they keep the money, and use it for whatever else instead of the hungry.

moonlight - if that's how you feel about celebrities, what the fuck are you doing at this board? entertainers DO influence the world in a meaningful way. just because she wasn't a political leader doesn't make her life any less valid. besides that, who are you to decide when or if it's important that a person dies? who are you to give people shit for mourning the loss of a young, talented woman just because they didn't know her? you're whining about the loss of children in countries you will likely never even set foot in. how is that any different?.

Edited by mrs jesus

Mrs. Jesus i don't know, its Xmas Eve and i really don't want to get into it. It's sad she died, or anyone dies, right before Xmas (unless they don't celebrate Xmas).

I also want to apologize to Saturnine for the dickhead tone off my reply to his post. Poverty and development is just a subject that i am passionate about so i got a bit snappy. Sorry.

What if you're an impoverished woman who has no access to birth control and your husband or some misc. man rapes you or otherwise forces you to have sex, and you become pregnant? Do you think the woman chose to become pregnant? Or chose for the man not to even stick around most of the time? Is this the child's fault that he was conceived? Is it the child's fault that his mother dies during childbirth because of infection, disease, poor sanitation and otherwise lack of any healthcare whatsoever, leaving him/her an orphan?

Nobody has ever chosen to be born. That's not karma, and you don't "deserve it". Your head just emailed me, it wants you to remove him from your anal cavity.

p.s. Merry Christmas.

rape is the first place you go with that? i'm talking about FAMILIES with 8 kids, 13 kids, 18 kids. shit, it happens in the states and it's still fucking ridiculous. if you can't afford to raise your kids, stop procreating. sure, there are orphans due to piss-poor healthcare but there are so many because of overpopulation and people haveing no regard for their living conditions. i don't bring a child into the world because i cannot afford to raise one. i am not smarter than these people (well, i am, but that's not the point.) it is common sense. if we were to save the life of every child on these continents, where would the world population be heading? 8 billion? 10? the world is already over-populated. nothing wrong with a little herd-thinning. maybe i'm just "insensitive", but i'm not wrong. maybe we can ship them all over to north america and watch our population triple and see our own living conditions deteriorate.

we can't kill prisoners quickly enough to decrease the prison population despite our best efforts, why would we try to keep the third world overpopulated? if you're going to save the kids, kill the adults or at least castrate them.

rape is the first place you go with that? i'm talking about FAMILIES with 8 kids, 13 kids, 18 kids. shit, it happens in the states and it's still fucking ridiculous. if you can't afford to raise your kids, stop procreating. sure, there are orphans due to piss-poor healthcare but there are so many because of overpopulation and people haveing no regard for their living conditions. i don't bring a child into the world because i cannot afford to raise one. i am not smarter than these people (well, i am, but that's not the point.) it is common sense. if we were to save the life of every child on these continents, where would the world population be heading? 8 billion? 10? the world is already over-populated. nothing wrong with a little herd-thinning. maybe i'm just "insensitive", but i'm not wrong. maybe we can ship them all over to north america and watch our population triple and see our own living conditions deteriorate.

we can't kill prisoners quickly enough to decrease the prison population despite our best efforts, why would we try to keep the third world overpopulated? if you're going to save the kids, kill the adults or at least castrate them.

It's not just rape. In least developed countries in the world, women have very few reproductive rights. They have little to no access to birth control, and are often seen as the property of the men whom they are married to, who can force them to have sex without much the woman can do about it. Even when the woman has a power over herself, the lack of access to birth control for men and women is still a problem in overpopulation. But i would be naive to say the problem isn't much more complex than that.

I agree with you in that overpopulation is a huge problem. The region of the world with the highest population growth, Sub-Saharan Africa, is also the most impoverished region of the world. As you alluded to above, if we were to save the 9+ million children under the age of 5 who die every year from preventable poverty-related causes, the world would become even more populated. However, i don't think seeing the problem as "herd-thinning" is the right way to look at it, nor is it the right solution to save the kids, then "kill the adults or at least castrate them".

I think a better approach is to try and prevent needless deaths, while at the same time developing humane ways to curb high birth rates (birth taxes, birth control etc.).

In order to sustainably save the lives of the children (and adults for that matter) dying from preventable causes, the areas/countries that these people live in must become more economically, socially, and politically developed. With improvements in income, education, health/healthcare, political stability etc., there certainly will come more opportunity for these people to be more knowledgeable about sex and reproduction (& associated problems with overpopulation, HIV/AIDS etc.), and their access to birth control will also improve, as will their ability to facilitate whatever other means are needed to curb birth rates.

Whatever the case, i think a smaller, but healthier population in the world is more humane and desirable over the status quo. The current situation is disgusting.