daniel_v

Helping Matt Out This Year

Just thought I'd start a thread to float an idea and see what everyone else thought.

Obviously it's been a rough last couple years for Matt if people have paid attention to some of the stuff he's discussed regarding his personal life. With his father passing away this year and his tour having to be cancelled due to the current health crisis I can't imagine he's having the most wonderful year so far either. 

As such, I was curious as to what people here would think about a private Go-Fund-Me page for him as way to help out a bit (one that would only be posted here). I was thinking about this because like all of us he has bills to pay and people people to support, but given that touring is any musician's main source of revenue these days I have to imagine this spring/summer (if not the entire year) is going to be a little more difficult for him. 

While I realize that like any Canadian who has lost income as a result of this crisis he can simply apply for the $2000/per month subsidy from the current federal government, I’m assuming that amount would not cover what his regular income intake would have been were he still on tour. Nor do I know what his personal financial commitments are either. 

Now, to be clear, this isn't something I would expect many people to contribute to since I know "a lot" of people don't have spare money to contribute right now due to their own financial situations and obligations. But, for those of us who are lucky enough to still be working and are not in a bind yet I thought this might be a nice and tangible way to say thanks for all the decades of music that Matt has shared over the years.

Then again, maybe this is dumb idea, lol. I don't know. Maybe it’s better just supporting the guy by purchasing stuff through the merchandise store? 

Anyone have any thoughts, pro or con towards either option? 

Edited by daniel_v

I'd help any way I could.  I saw Matt was giving away a ton of Football kits on Instagram.  Matt has a heart of gold and really seems to care about his die hard fans and just people in general. Anything we can do count me in. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Rhu8ar8Pi3 said:

I would help if I could, but I was laid off my job a week ago.

So sorry to hear that ?

Keep your chin up. All things pass and so will this. I’m sure you’ve already looked at this as well but on the off chance you haven’t it would probably be worthwhile: 

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirusbenefits/#section-jobs

Likewise, check your PMs in a few minutes. Gonna message u right now. 

1 hour ago, Moonlight_Graham said:

Why would there be a need for this?

Not knowing Matt personally obviously I don’t know his financial situation, but as I said in my first post the following was/is my reasoning for suggesting this in the first place: 

“I was thinking about this because like all of us he has bills to pay and people to support, but given that touring is any musician's main source of revenue these days I have to imagine this spring/summer (if not the entire year) is going to be a little more difficult for him. 

While I realize that like any Canadian who has lost income as a result of this crisis he can simply apply for the $2000/per month subsidy from the current federal government, I’m assuming that amount would not cover what his regular income intake would have been were he still on tour.” 

That’s not to mention he has 3 kids to support.

There’s also a good article here discussing what the pandemic has done to the Canadian Arts community: 

https://nowtoronto.com/music/features/covid-19-canadian-musicians/

As I said earlier too, I’m just floating the idea to see what others think. Again, I realize most people have their own obligations and wouldn’t expect a lot of people to be able to contribute (or maybe would rather contribute elsewhere which is of course totally fine), but for those of us who felt like they could, I’m simply thinking this could be a good way to give back to someone who has given us so much through his music over the years and might now be struggling a bit himself. 

Edited by daniel_v

I'd prefer that there weren't any gofundmes or anything like that on this site. Thanks.

I think the best way to support the artists we like are to buy their merch/albums directly through their sites and to sell out their shows when this whole pandemic has ended.

• Upvote 1