I'm on track 3 and it's already better than In Your Honour.

But In Your Honour (disc 1) was the definition of cookie-cutter filler rock songs. Hell? The Last Song? Free Me? Please. End Over End is one of the most generic closers I've heard.

HOWEVER, on track 5 now and pretty impressed. So far, it's as well-rounded as there's nothing left to lose. Musically, I can definitely sense that they're aiming for another The Colour and The Shape.

Another comment: he's not screaming like an idiot like he did in Disc 1 from In Your Honour. This is definitely the colour and the shape part II.

Time for another edit: throw Colour and the Shape, There's Nothing Left To Lose and Disc 2 of In Your Honour into a blender and you get this.

Now I agree with what Borntohula is saying. It does have a classic rock feel a little bit to this but I enjoy this piano arrangement in the song I currently have on. Again, Ain't It The Life is my favourite song on TINLTL so I have no complaints.

This album's solid.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Yes, even though this album has a lot of growing to do on my part, it does have some of the best qualities that have been missing since There is Nothing Left to Lose. There are definitely some more elements of The Colour and the Shape on here but it is still a lot different. It is reminiscent of it in the way that there is some more screaming again (spread throughout) and it's more diverse with a great blending of the soft and more hard edge. It makes sense as Gil is back and the production is definitely better on this than the last 2 records.

I do and don't agree with you about In Your Honor disc one however. I agree it does have some generic (in a way), too radio sounding rock on it but it's a good bit better than One by One overall which in my opinion was a huge let down. Have it All is a super kick ass song though. And I'm very surprised to see you don't like Free Me as I think it's easily the best rock song on there and has some sweet sounds. I actually thought "now this is how you rock it". Still, nowhere near the magnificence of TCATS.

No record on earth is as good as The Colour and the Shape. Magical times were upon them then and I think it is only meant to happen that way once. I don't think the album could have been put together any closer to perfect than it was (the flow and blend of soft/hard) and as good as a couple of the songs on the 10 year anniversary edition are, I am glad they weren't put on the original. It was made exactly how it should have been.

Edited by Manchalivin

Jason and Matthew, I love your carefully thought out critiques.

I have listened to it all the way through several times. I think it's the closest they've gotton back to TCATS. The production isn't overly perfect. I overly slick production on Rock and Roll Discs. The best thing about TCATS was that it had a very organic feel to it, and the disc has that same feel. It's not perfect...and Dave seems to get bogged down here and there both lyrically and musically.

Edited by bishopx