Guest Prosis

Boycott Foie Gras

Guest Prosis

http://www.gan.ca/home.en.html

A video has been released showing how they treat the ducks used to produce foie gras from the largest foie gras farm in Canada. The images are absolutely atrocious. I'm not a foie gras consumer and I will never be.

I know I'm going to get the usual "Well there are many other places who treat animals horribly and defending only one is hypocritical, blah blah fucking blah". But the way I see it, when you learn about it, you can stop consuming it. If I have to become a vegetarian for that, then I will.

I got that sort of comments when I told someone "don't buy Iams food because they treat animals horrible" and he said "well other do too". So I told him that if I learned that the brand I was using was doing that, I would stop buying it".

Of course, you can't spend your days looking for injustices because you would never get through them all. But when one surfaces, you can help get it changed.

Guest Prosis

Yeah the video shows them pulling heads off of live ducks, smashing ducks onto floors and walls, punching and kicking them...no one's going to make me believe that all of this is necessary to get quality foie gras...

What I don't get is why they don't just chop the head off THEN drain the blood...at last it's dead then.

If you kill it first, the heart will stop and the blood will not drain effectively. It will begin to coagulate. Even arterial bullet wounds don't bleed much, or for long, after the subject has expired.

The more you know... ;)

Edited by Sparq

i didn't click the link, but isn't foie gras where they force feed the fucking things? isn't that cruel enough to warrant not eating it?

edit: ew..i looked it up. it's viver. that's reason enough not to eat it. homie don't eat organs.

Edited by Some Random

Well...that was stomach turning...

But, I completely understand your points.

My boss was telling me though, that somewhere in BC, there is a farm that makes fois gras (or maybe it was veal, I can't remember) as humanely as possible...

Guest Prosis
i don't even know if i should join this discussion...

Meg: Why not?

Edit: Oh I see, you're a vegetarian...good for you, I need to kick myself in the groin once and for all and cross over as well

Chris: you're right, it is...

Tracy: I wish everyone could do that...if we're going to eat meat, it would be nice if the animals weren't treated like complete shit before they were killed.

I've been thinking of becoming a vegetarian for a while. Not the kind who doesn't eat eggs or milk products, just not meat.

This doesn't push in the non-vegetarian position at all...

Edited by Prosis

I don't think there is any debate here at all.

I'm pretty sure after one glance at that force-feeding something in your brain clicks and you know it is wrong...if not you are probably really masculine and cool.

Edit: what is with all this holly mcnarland stuff

Edited by shade

Guest Prosis
i'm really passionate about the topic of vegetarianism, and if i get started i don't ever shut up.

i'm totally up for the discussion but i don't want to annoy anyone in the process 'cause i'm sure you've all heard it from me before.

I never did and would like to discuss it with you...but we should do it sometimes on MSN not to annoy our co-boarders ;)

It's something I've been pondering for a year now...but I can't get the courage to actually sit down and plan an alternative menu (because I don't like beans and such so I have to find a protein replacement and, let's be honnest, you can't eat eggs at every mean :angry:). My wife and her son are not vegetarian which is another obstacle because for the moment we can't afford to do 2 grocery lists...

Jason: I'm her webmaster which is why I promote :angry:

and I agree about the force feeding thing. That did create a certain controversy last winter but it faded out as do most controversies...

Edited by Prosis

I never did and would like to discuss it with you...but we should do it sometimes on MSN not to annoy our co-boarders ;)

It's something I've been pondering for a year now...but I can't get the courage to actually sit down and plan an alternative menu (because I don't like beans and such so I have to find a protein replacement and, let's be honnest, you can't eat eggs at every mean :angry:). My wife and her son are not vegetarian which is another obstacle because for the moment we can't afford to do 2 grocery lists...

okay just something quick...

there's tons of ways to get the proper nutrients without changing your eating habits too much. i never planned anything out, i just went "eating meat is wrong and i'm going to stop". that was 6 years ago and i'm still alive and healthy.

would you still eat fish?

if so, they are very, very good for you. i personally don't eat fish or eggs, but i'm just saying.

also, gradually cutting out certians meats is a common way of starting a vegetarian diet. if you just stop eating all meats at once, you're more susceptible to getting sick from lack of iron or even becoming annemic.

for me, i just eat the same dinners as my family sans the meat. and it works out well, i get enough to eat and everything.

of course, i'm a girl so you're used to eating more but it's totally do-able.

we should totally talk about this on msn if you're serious about it.

Guest Prosis

Yep when I get two minutes and you're on then...you're on lol ;)

And what's in that sandwich you're eating with so much apetite (I love that avatar :angry:)

Edited by Prosis

yeah sure, we can all agree it's bad. but will anyone do anything about it?

and it's not just ducks, it's every slaughter house out there.

you never hear of a humane one, or even one with semi-respectable ways of killing animals to fill your stomach (with the exception of kosher ones).

so agreeing really isn't enough

We are designed to eat meat and vegetables , hence the carnivorous teeth in the front and herbivorous teeth in the back. We're Omnivorous. To get the meat we have to kill something, not all ways are "humane", that much we agree on, but most of them are well practiced and are as humane as they can be. Hell we RAISE animals to be slaughtered, it's what they were bred and raised to do.

there is a lot that can be done.

it's obviously illegal to treat the animals so purely, get the law involved.

if you're going to eat meat, buy it from local, family run farms so we don't have factory farms mass producing animals and treating them like shit purely because they don't have the time to do it right.

when you hear about certian companies that are especially bad with animal treatment, stop purchasing their meat.

We are designed to eat meat and vegetables , hence the carnivorous teeth in the front and herbivorous teeth in the back. We're Omnivorous. To get the meat we have to kill something, not all ways are "humane", that much we agree on, but most of them are well practiced and are as humane as they can be. Hell we RAISE animals to be slaughtered, it's what they were bred and raised to do.

of course, back in the day, we ate and hunted animals for survival. we don't need to eat these animals to survive. there is so much food out there and is better for you, more delicious, and fucking more pratical to eat yet we're resting on the fact that our ancestors did it out of nessecity so we have to too.

and it's not just the fact that they're being murdered in such a way that they are that's the issue. they're also being pumped full of chemicals that you're, in turn, eating. why would you willingly do that?

and as far as raising these animals to eat, i can't think of a more fucked up lifestyle.

Edited by Ravenous megin-sane

Guest Prosis

Wow I've never been faced with the "angry" Meg.

See those are the reasons why I'm pondering vegetarianism (oh boy I'm not sure about the way I wrote that word lol). I look at cows, chickens, ducks and whatnot and think "why should they die for my stomach? Am I so damn important in the world?"

You know, one philosopher, can't remember which one, said "Maybe Man is nature's mistake...it is the only living being that destroys its environment"

I'm not going to argue your opinion, I like to eat meat simple as that. I also know that they are being pumped full of chemicals and crap, but so is the plant life, maybe not directly but indirectly for sure...so either way your screwed ("organic" or not).

I used to live on a farm, we raised our bull and our pigs as a source of income. We brought them to local slaughter houses when the time was right and then we ate them. They were the most delicious animals I've ever ate, haven't had a steak or bacon/ham that good since.

PS: No I didn't do any research or cited anything to be looked at, this is off the top of my head...I don't have enough time to be combing through information to cite here.