The first single off their upcoming 4th LP 'The Bedlam In Goliath' (January 29th, 2008) has just been released.

The video was posted a while back here: http://video.umrg.com/marsvolta/waxsimulac...d/quicktime.asp

But now you can get the single off iTunes (and some other means in losssles quality :wink: :wink:)

If you haven't heard any or of The Mars Volta please go and get/download/buy/beg/crawl to listen to 'Deloused in The Comatorium' (2003). Memorize and master that and move onto their materpiece 'Frances The Mute' (2005). Do what you want with 'Amputechture' (2006), kinda effy.

By that time you'll be all geared up for Bedlam

;)

you guys don;t like amputechture? i like that and deloused a whole lot. i just bought francis the mute a week ago, so we'll see how much i like that.

amputechture got better towards the end of the record... i just think its really boring at the beginning. to me, frances is relentless... the pacing of it is really good; they don't meander too much. the songs have an immediacy to them that the majority of amputechture does not.

did it not literaly fit, time-wise, or did it not fit with the theme/feel?

It did not fit time-wise. BUT heres the crazy part, the overall story is about searching for your roots, and since FTM was the "decoder" song as it contains most of the info, they thought how interesting it was that the song could not fit on the album, and at the same time that song was the one that ties the story together underlying the "searching for roots" type of thing.

The pieces just went together to NOT include it on the album.

Short answer: both time-wise and concept-wise it was left off the album.

amputechture got better towards the end of the record... i just think its really boring at the beginning. to me, frances is relentless... the pacing of it is really good; they don't meander too much. the songs have an immediacy to them that the majority of amputechture does not.

Agreed, and well said.

I figured I`d be rocking Amputecture for a long, long while, but I found myself putting it away only a week or so after I picked it up. Then the new Isis came out, and I didn`t even bother with Amputecture until a week ago. It`s gotten a bit better after in some parts, but meanders way too much. Frances the Mute rocked my feeble clerk world, as did De-Loused before that (although none of which rocked me nearly as much as Relationship of Command could)

Hmm. I was not aware of this. I was big into TMV a couple years back, and was really excited for Amputechture. There are a couple good songs on it, but not as many as on the first two. I find I can only tolerate the band in small doses. I guess I like my music more traditionally melodic.

Edit: I meant to say, it will be interesting to see how this next one turns out. I won't be rushing to go out and buy it, but I'm interested.

Edited by somnambulist

This is the worst case of a band squandering their talent...possibly of all time.

I think if they worked with a producer they could be better...Omar is too cocky....Get back with Rick Ruben like de-loused or something.

PIPE DREAMS

Edit: or maybe they need to get back into hard drugs

Edited by shade

Fantastic album. I don;t know if it's better than Deloused, but I love them both, and I fucking hated Frances the Mute.

My fav track so far is definitely Ilyena.

Edit: I will agree with Shade that I don't like his new vocal style very much.

Edited by Prometheon

i like how this record is driving and pummeling and kick ass instrumentally, but i'd be fucked if you asked me what it was about. i can't even listen to it all the way through. i think in some ways, its a step in the right direction for the band, but i'm starting to feel like they're stepping into a world of ridiculousness. i think it was in the pitchfork review where the author argued that TMV seem to be far more concerned with filling a CD than they do with making a listenable album. i haven't been able to listen to something of theirs all the way through since frances the mute, and that album was hard to digest at times (but moreso in a good, overwhelming way though). sure, you could argue that i've just got a short attention span and am a symptom of what seems to be the ADD generation. that would be an appropriate argument if i didnt already listen to, and enjoy bands like GSY!BE, explosions in the sky, do make say think, etc etc who manage to write albums that i can listen to the whole way through no problem.

TMV have these high concepts about fucking ouija boards from israel that they seem to take so damn seriously, and it makes their music approach a very hyperbolic kind of plain where because they're so earnest with what they do, it's hard to take them seriously.

in some ways, this album was a breath of fresh air. i couldn't tell you how desperate i was to hear a 3 minute song by them after i had listened my way through amputechture. on this album, they show that they can make short, tight, well written pieces that really rock and yet still do not fit into conventional forms of radio rock. with that reworked version of "rapid fire tollbooth" found in "goliath" as well as "tourniquet man" they flirt with sounding "groovy" and i like it.

additionally, they're showing that they have a sense of humor in their video/webisode things that they used to promote their album... so thats a plus. it makes them seem a little more human.