I was a big fan growing up, I also like some of Morrissey's solo stuff. They were a band that brought something very new to a scene that was getting very old and staid. They forced a lot of bands to grow, and influenced a lot of new bands.

I'm obsessed. Bought Hatful of Hollow and never looked back. Can't argue with albums like that and Meat Is Murder, they're just indescribably awesome and I could quite happily listen to them forever more. Morrisseys my favourite lyricist and Marr's music is nothing short of genius. They released so much utter brilliance in a mere 4 years, I mean, even their b-sides are some of the best songs I've ever heard (How Soon Is Now?)! I'm ranting now so I'll stop while I'm still making sense.

Edited by LonelyWreckage

They are Jawsome.

their biggest problem is How Soon is Now is everyones favourite, so people check out "Meat is Murder" which is a horrible album besides a few tracks.

S/t or Queen is Dead imo

They are Jawsome.

their biggest problem is How Soon is Now is everyones favourite, so people check out "Meat is Murder" which is a horrible album besides a few tracks.

S/t or Queen is Dead imo

yeah i was wondering about that myself... how much of their reputation is based on that song. i think i'll check out those albums soonish.

I'd recommend Hatful of Hollow to start off on, it's a great mixture. You can't fall of with either The Queen Is Dead or Meat Is Murder though; they're largely considered to be the better two and for good reason (never heard a Smiths fan call Meat Is Murder horrible?! ;) ). Stay away from the rest until you're hooked - their debut's ruined by production, Louder Than Bombs/World Won't Listen are patchy comps which only the hardcore bother buying and Strangeways seems to get mixed reactions.

I love them. I only started to listen to them about a year or so ago, first just checked out their highlights and then got all the albums. I tried some of Morrissey's solo stuff but didn't really like it, it didn't sound as fresh and unique as the band's stuff sounds to me.

How anyone can be a Smiths fan and not like Meat is Murder is beyond me. I'm pretty much the same way, a friend told would always be raving about them and I never could handle Morrissey, not in the least until about a year ago I sat down and listened to (basically) their whole discography. Never looked back really, just a unique sound for the time and some amazing songwriting involved.

How anyone can be a Smiths fan and not like Meat is Murder is beyond me.

Must be a wind-up ? It's in my top three albums ever, there's not a bad song on it !

I'm pretty much the same way, a friend told would always be raving about them and I never could handle Morrissey, not in the least until about a year ago I sat down and listened to (basically) their whole discography. Never looked back really, just a unique sound for the time and some amazing songwriting involved.

Yeh I consider myself strictly a Smiths fan, I'll give his Best Of a bash every now and then, but that's as far as I get. Last of the Famous International Playboys and Suedehead are complete and utter tunes though.

Yeh I felt the same way for a long time, it's hard to take it seriously with all the animal noises and shit, isn't it ? But I've warmed to it (well - the live versions, mainly) since.

I've grown a bit sick of I Want the One I Can't Have too, but apart from that it's still a joy to listen to.