Guest Prosis

Openoffice 2.4 Vs Office 2003

Guest Prosis

Well since I'm considering going from XP to the next version of Ubuntu, I was wondering what everyone thought of OpenOffice 2.4 . Because it comes with Linux and, if I want to use Office 2003, I would have to install Wine.

I've tried version 2.0 but I found it slow and heavy. What about now, is it worth using OpenOffice 2.4 or should I stick with Wine + Office 2003?

Thanks! ;)

I'd love to put some input in for you. But I haven't really used the open office suite. I've recommended it for people who didn't want to buy office. But I've usually stuck with Office when I could.

sorry but I just don't have any real input about it.

If you are used to office and do not wish to learn how to use OpenOffice then you should just keep XP on your computer and use Office 2003.

I have tried installing Office 2003 on earlier versions of wine and it just does not work. I have had success CrossoverOffice to make MS office 2003 work but it CO is not worth $40 to me.

I prefer OpenOffice. I have had stability issues with every version of MS Office that I have ever used. I am a grad student who writes a lot of papers with a lot of data analysis which have lots of graphics. When your documents get ~10 pages long with lots of graphics in MS office has tended to crash and lose your work.

OpenOffice may not seem as user friendly as MS Office. But after a little use you will realize that it is just different. I think that OOo is just as easy to use as MS Office.

You do not have grammatic in OOo. However you do not have word auto-complete in MS Word. OOo may seem awkward at first, but you do do not have to pay $300 for it.

Writer, Math and Impress in my experience are 95% compatible with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint respectively. Usually whenever you cannot view or edit a document it in my experience has been caused by a hack putting a platform dependent 'real time' data fetch link which in OOo on Linux just does not work. The actual occurrence of this malfunction is very low.

I have never had lost a document from a program crash. I have not lost a document from a system crash. I have never lost a document from an OOo crash. I use OOo and Linux because all of the above have happened in MS Office on Windows.

I admit I am a bit biased. I left the Microsoft platform out of frustration, So naturally I will tell of the negative reasons why. However, I encourage you to give OOo an honest try, I use it on a daily basis and I like it, as much as I can like a word processor. You cannot beat the price. If it doesn't work for you I costs just as much to uninstall it as it did to download it.

Not sure if this will work in your version of Outlook but try hitting CTRL + *

Might get rid of them, I'll keep looking to see how to do it using the mouse

EDIT: Think I found it here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/...1752771033.aspx

PERFECT!

thank you. jesus are those things ever annoying.

Edited by Snatch Catcher