julianzz

Itunes In Canada Now Offers Movies

it depends on where you are. i've watched episodes of planet earth before on my zen, but i was on a bus going from sudbury to toronto and would have been incredibly bored otherwise. it was shaky as heck, though. i also think that that show lends itself to being watched "portably" because of the narration. you can take your eyes away from the screen for a moment and not miss much.

the difference between watching a film on an mp3 player and playing a video game on a DS or PSP is that films aren't made with the intention of being seen on such small screens, whereas those pocket video games are. i'm sorry for opening up the "intention" can of worms, but there it is. try watching any of those bourne identity films on a bus, or anything else that's been mostly shot with a handheld camera. it can't be done. not for long, anyways. like anton said, you strain your eyes too much and the picture is incredibly hard to follow.

also, i'm not sure if ipods are backlit, but my zen sure isn't, and so any glare i get on the screen engulfs the entire thing, making it incredibly difficult to discern what's happening, especially if the picture is already dark.

Edited by borntohula

never got the point of watching a movie on your ipod. i can understand music videos because they're short but you'll just train your eyes!

Well if your on a train to work/school would you rather carry around a portable dvd player with a shit load of dvds or just an ipod that fits in your pocket.

Not to mention you can still watch them in itunes on your laptop, doesn't have to be on a tiny screen.

edited for typo

Edited by julianzz

the difference between watching a film on an mp3 player and playing a video game on a DS or PSP is that films aren't made with the intention of being seen on such small screens, whereas those pocket video games are. i'm sorry for opening up the "intention" can of worms, but there it is. try watching any of those bourne identity films on a bus, or anything else that's been mostly shot with a handheld camera. it can't be done. not for long, anyways. like anton said, you strain your eyes too much and the picture is incredibly hard to follow.

I think that's a fair point. They're not ideal, no. I've never actually bothered watching a full film on a small screen, only episodes, so you could be right. From what I have seen, which is tonnes of TV episodes, they were perfectly watchable. If there were any strain on the eyes, I didn't notice - which, you'd think I would, but again, that might be down to the length.

Anyway, I'd hazard a guess that people buying films for their Ipods would be doing so for journeys, and for most people it'd come down to: do I sit here like a lemon for an hour, bored shitless, or give this new film a bash. Even if after half an hour their eyes start to hurt, they can just turn it off and go back to staring out of the window. It's just nice to have the choice.