I'm listening right now, so far, underwhelmed. I've only heard spinning the daffodils, bandoliers, and no one loves me and neither do I.

I'll edit this post when I listen to the whole thing.

My overall feeling is one giant mehhhhhh, elephants, mind eraser, reptiles, are all highlights if you want to call them that.

There's not nearly enough memorable hooks in these songs considering they're alt/classic rock. Add to this unnecessary solos and liberties taken mid song for no reason other than that they can.... it's not that impressive, I don't get the hype.

Just because you throw a bunch of good musicians together, doesn't necessarily mean they're going to produce good music.

Edited by Computer

god, borntohula is such a dick lately. it's kinda hot.

raaar

Just because you throw a bunch of good musicians together, doesn't necessarily mean they're going to produce good music.

this.

i'll be the first to admit that this record really appeals to the high school kid in me who still loves dave grohl and has wanted him and homme to sing together since he first dave yell "HAY" in "song for the dead."

i like this record, but it is definitely front-loaded. i agree that the longer, jammier songs are a bit aimless, and aren't really justified beyond the fact that the three particular musicians in the band are playing together, so we might as well be happy with what they've given us. that said, in parts where the album does lag, grohl's drums add a definite punch and life that save the album from being as boring a slog as it might have turned out to be.

my other problem is that it's way too homme-centric. he has this tendency of making all his projects sound so similar. it's good in one respect because it means he's consistent, and has a definitive sound, but at the same time, it's a bit overbearing. that his production alone could make the arctic monkeys sound like QOTSA is a feat in itself, but as those who have heard the album can attest to, it didn't really work out in their favour. to me, JPJ's personality doesn't really come out as much as it should have, and this record isn't much of a departure from what grohl and homme have done already, so it seems a bit redundant. aside from all that though, i can't stop listening to the record, because above all else, it's just a joy to listen to. from a music-nerd standpoint, but also because the band clearly had a good time writing these songs.

Edited by borntohula

I really like Scumbag Blues and there are a couple other standouts. Overall I'm enjoying it right now but I don't think it's very memorable and a couple songs wander too much and they'd be better off without it. Not worth all the hype but I really like that it sounds like they really enjoyed working together.