Biggie

Russian Democracy Failing Again?

In addition to Putin's consolidation of power and control of the media, this really is a sign that something is wrong.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/internatio...cfm?id=69292005

Stalin back in favour as new statue goes up in Moscow

FOREIGN STAFF

A NEW statue of the Soviet dictator Josef Stalin is to be erected in Moscow, returning his once-ubiquitous image to the streets after an absence of four decades, a top city official said yesterday.

Since Vladimir Putin became president in 2000, a number of Soviet symbols - including the national anthem and an army flag - have been restored to use, reflecting widespread nostalgia for the communist era.

But the rehabilitation of Stalin - denounced by Soviet leaders after his death in 1953 for encouraging a cult of personality and killing millions of real and imagined opponents - had remained out of bounds. Statues of him were removed from Moscow in the 1960s.

Oleg Tolkachev, Moscow’s senator in the upper house of parliament, said a monument was to be erected to Stalin and others who led the war against Hitler. A statue will also be built in the Belgorod region, near the Ukrainian border.

In another sign of Stalin’s growing appeal, many prime-time television shows have recently depicted him in a positive light.

When the USSR collapsed, and Russia became more deomcratic, people got various freedoms, such as private enterprise, free(er) speech, etc. But on the downside, society became more chaotic and insecure. The mafia has run rampant, and many people can no longer afford basic needs. So I think alot of people think to hell with freedom of speech and enterprise if we can have peace, stability, order, and security... Which is probably something they can attain from a more authoritative form of government,

Well all other democracy's are suppose to be based off the US system, so I would think all other's are invalid anyway.

The French Republics were based on the U.S. system in the late 1700s, but I would hardly say that all other democracies are based on the Yankee model.

Well all other democracy's are suppose to be based off the US system, so I would think all other's are invalid anyway.

Not necessarily, a lot of countries use government systems based on the Parliamentary system; especially within the Commonwealth.

The British system was around before the U.S. one, the U.S. just modified it to make it less British.

As in, get rid of the King/Queen which the commonwealth still has? ;)

The King/Queen has no real power in the Canadian or British system even. I meant modified in how the voting system is done and some of the set up, but it is still somewhat similar too.