Gob

The Office

So NBC is finally rolling out the Americanized version of BBC's monster hit "The Office" on Thursday March 24.

Myspace.com is streaming an episode called "Diversity Day"

http://www.myspace.com/theoffice/

It stars Steve Carrel as Michael Scott (David Brent) with a relatively unknown cast. Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant (original creators of The Office) executive produced this american version.

Check out Diversity Day (above), it's worth the 20minutes.

Here's the official NBC website: nbc.com/The_Office/

So it first aired last night on NBC, and I must say that I was really impressed. The characters still need to get used to, but Steve Carell as Michael Scott and that guy from Six Feet Under as Dwight look pretty similar to Garreth-David Brent of the BBC series.

"I'm the assistant regional manager" Dwight

"No, you're an assistant to the regional manager" Michael Scott

A new episode airs Tuesday, which is its regular timeslot after Scrubs at 8:30 CST.

DIVERSITY DAY 

Airs 2005-03-29 After Scrubs

DUNDER MIFFLIN HOLDS DIVERSITY TRAINING - When a special consultant, Mr. Brown (guest star Larry Wilmore), arrives to teach a seminar on racial tolerance and diversity in the workplace, Michael (Steve Carell) implies that it was his idea while in reality his offensive behavior necessitated the training. When Mr. Brown has a staff member reenact one of Michael's past indiscretions, Michael, not satisfied with the consultant's workshop, decides to hold his own racial teach-in later that afternoon. Meanwhile, Jim (John Krasinski) is not having a good day after losing his biggest yearly commission to Dwight (Rainn Wilson). Jenna Fischer and B.J. Novak also star. TV-14 www.nbc.com

Edited by Gob

Go rent the British version instead. They don't look like actors in the British version and the material works better as a British show.

I just found it hard to watch the exact same script performed by American actors. It just doesn't work as well.

Go rent the British version instead. They don't look like actors in the British version and the material works better as a British show.

I just found it hard to watch the exact same script performed by American actors. It just doesn't work as well.

It's not the exact same script performed by American actors, they have made some changes (see episode 3's synopsis below). The second episode "Diversity Day" which aired last week bared no resemblance to Series 1 or 2 from BBC's The Office. My advice is to stick with it for a year and see what happens.

Ricky Gervais (David Brent) and Stephen Merchant, creators of the original series, are producers of this show. I wouldn't like to think that they'd put their efforts into a less-than-respectable show.

Anyways, here's the synopsis for this weeks' episode:

HOW TO CHOOSE A HEALTH CARE PLAN BY DWIGHT SCHRUTE -- When Corporate wants Michael (Steve Carell) to pick a cheaper health plan for his employees, rather than lose popularity points with his staff, he shirks the responsibility and Dwight (Rainn Wilson) happily accepts the task. Delighted with his new position of power, Dwight takes over the conference room as his new "office" and manages to offend everyone by asking staff members to divulge their private medical history. Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam (Jenna Fischer) jokingly create fake illnesses only to infuriate Dwight. B.J. Novak also stars. TV-14

post-21-1112489952.jpg

This week on The Office:

THE ALLIANCE

ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE -- Amid the rumors of downsizing, Michael (Steve Carell) tries to raise employee morale with a birthday party, despite the fact that the closest birthday is a month away. As the birthday card for Meredith (Kate Flannery) makes the rounds in the office, Michael struggles to pen the funniest birthday message. Meanwhile, Dwight (Rainn Wilson) asks Jim (John Krasinski) to form a "Survivor"-type alliance so they can protect themselves during the upcoming downsizing. Elsewhere, Oscar (Oscar Nunez) collects pledges for his nephew's cerebral palsy charity walk. Michael tops everyone's donation by offering twenty-five dollars - not realizing the donation is per mile - and tries to back track on his generous offer.

I liked last weeks episode, I hope this show lasts more then 2 seasons.