Matt

"martin Says Harper Has 'no Business' Becoming Pm"

He made an unpopular move, and that's why he changed his position on the matter.

This is wrong. He supported the war before, during, and after the invasion even though it was an unpopular opinion among Canadians. I don't remember him saying during the 2004 election that he still did or didn't support the war, but he sure didn't make a big point to say he didn't even though it was still unpopular.

I disagree with Harper on many things and he's definately not my ideal choice for PM, but i'll give the guy one thing and its that he'll stand for an opinion even if its very unpopular with Canadians (ie: gay marriage, U.S. missle defense, Iraq war etc.). Can't say that for Martin.

The Conservatives also supported the war in Iraq and had they been in power they could not have just withdrawn the troops just like that because of how foreign relations work, it would seriously damage them if we did do that.

Uhm, didn't Spain withdraw their troops once they realized there were no WMD's? I very much doubt Canadian troops would still be in Iraq if we sent them there from day 1. Canadians and the oppositions wouldn't have put up with it, IMO.

Doesn't really matter, we don't even have ships to bring our own troops to Iraq anyways.

Spain withdrew their troops when there was a change of government, not at the realization of no WMD's.

Right now, I don't think Harper will even try to send Canadian troops into Iraq. He may say what he believes in, but he's not so stupid as to stick his nose that far up George Bush's ass and have his party ousted from Parliament for the next 10 years.

Personally, I'm sort of looking forward to a Conservative minority on a weird level. I don't much like Stephen Harper as an individual (I'd much prefer Peter McKay, and there are several conservative candidates who need to go back to Alabama), but it's time for a change. Just to keep all the parties on their toes and see what Harper and the conservatives can get done. I don't think he's going to do any real damage (i.e. banning or severely restricting abortions, undo gay marriages, merge Canada with the United States, force Quebec into sovereignty, rape babies, kill cute kittens, sodomize puppies in public, etc...) to the country, despite what the Liberals keep telling us.

I'm also looking forward to the NDP having a much stronger voice in parliament.

On another note, is anyone else sensing that the Liberal Party is going to have to go through a really long reconstruction effort? There aren't any clear-cut leaders in the making right now, it looks as though the Bloc could very well form the official opposition, more and more liberal-minded folk are leaning towards the NDP... not to mention the utterly vast way in which they've screwed up this campaign.