• Suburbia
    • Running for Home
    • Prime Time Deliverance
    • Change of Season
    • Near Fantastica
    • The Fine Art of Falling Apart
    • Tripoli
    • Other (Please state)

My summative for writer's craft is pretty open. So why not do some indepth analysis of some Matt Good lyrics and then present the song to the class? As one can imagine, it is not easy to pick a song, let alone do a thorough report on the lyrics themselves. So I would like to get the bored's opinions on which song's lyrics appeal to them the most, why that is, and what the song is saying to them.

Edited by Computer

I voted prime time. you can't go wrong with it. It's probably the least ambiguous out of your list, and it's just my personal favorite as far as lyrics go.

this is a reccuring theme in matt;s writing. but this particular song is really beautiful in its simplicity.

the song simply portrays the folly of 20th century addictions, where convenience is supposed to have made our lives better but ultimately it's dumbed us down. And the result of that is shown in the supposed suicide of a girl.

and it sort of just says, well this is what we've become. it's killing us but we're clinging to the comfort of our lives, like a bug burned on a light bulb.

it's a sad hopeless song, written with the same despondent attitude of the culture he describes.

you could analyze this one foreevr.

I voted prime time. you can't go wrong with it. It's probably the least ambiguous out of your list, and it's just my personal favorite as far as lyrics go.

this is a reccuring theme in matt;s writing. but this particular song is really beautiful in its simplicity.

the song simply portrays the folly of 20th century addictions, where convenience is supposed to have made our lives better but ultimately it's dumbed us down. And the result of that is shown in the supposed suicide of a girl.

and it sort of just says, well this is what we've become. it's killing us but we're clinging to the comfort of our lives, like a bug burned on a light bulb.

it's a sad hopeless song, written with the same despondent attitude of the culture he describes.

you could analyze this one foreevr.

Wow. You're my fucking hero.

Fine Art gives you a lot of material to work with.

Also, I've always been a BIG fan of Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance. Few words are actually said, but he says a lot with the words he does use.

Simple but deep.

Guest jsunC

Omissions of the Omen, that would be very interesting to do, its a very strong song lyrically.

Man of Action, Advertising on Police cars.. for no particular reason,just cause i love them so.

Alright, I've given some thought, and I've decided to go with The Rat Who Would Be King. There were some interesting opinions here, and thanks for the input. Now I have to find out if the word "fucked" is a problem in presenting to the class... god damn hypocrisy of writer's craft. Unless theres a censored version which I extremely doubt.

Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission sometimes.

what's the worst punishment? Likely a tap on the wrist. If they dont wanna hear inappropriate language they should cover their ears as they walk through the halls.

Is it for college? Because if it is, then they have to deal with it. You know, if you're supposed to analyze something like this, then you should be able to have the room for it. I remember doing an essay for English 150 about rap music and giving samples. How am I not supposed to use foul/crude/inappropriate language when doing this?

They just have to deal with it.

i did an identical project for my writer's craft class in high school. a lot of people used songs with swear words. depending on the teacher, most won't care. i had a really cool teacher (he's the inspiration for me going back to school to become an english teacher). we had to supply a copy of the lyrics for everyone, and in that case i would suggest possibly putting f*** for the sake of reading, but as far as listening, something tells me everyone in your class has used the word before. wouldn't worry about it much.

Well the time has come to actually write this thing out, so here's half of it. Its the first half of the song ending with the first chorus, I'm still working on it, but if you have any comments, thoughts, ideas, please share. This is my analysis of the rat who would be king.

The song

I've got to present this to the class in a few hours, I'd imagine they'll be bored and generally dis-interested in the song let alone care about the analysis. Shouldn't be too bad though.

Guest apsham

I am writing my own piece right now on Matt, a tribute of sorts. I thought of the title rather fast today, but I simply called it Empty Road... as long as we're talking about writing projects concerning Matt, was wondering if anyone else had some ideas..

Well the presentation went off as planned. I got the impression that no one was really a big fan of the song itself, but I already knew that was going to be the case. My teacher was impressed though, and I guess thats all that matters anyway.