cringleman

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

I'm sorta new here. I know.

I've just been floating about, for the past week, perusing the threads around here and generally making use of the account I registered for over a year ago (for the first time, really, except for asking Matt Good a question in the site-wide interview).

In participating in Shortcut to Moncton's Musical Discussion Thread, I noticed that he brought up one of my favourite bands, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (ignore the exclamation point; it used to end their name, and they moved it to the middle just to be esoteric).

After making wise use of the site's search function, I realized that only Moncton had ever mentioned them like, ev-errr.

Have you people never heard of post-rock (a term coined by Godspeed, and later abandoned by them once the press latched onto it)? (Sometimes lumped into the 'ambient' category.)

I'm beginning to ramble, so I will tell you this: Godspeed You! Black Emperor play sweeping, instrumental, quasi-classical arrangements of music using a variety of instrumentation. They were a fiercely anti-establishment group, almost never gave interviews, and left a huge impression on the post-rock genre (which now includes bands as diverse as Set Fire to Flames, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, A Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and countless others).

They were also from Montr

Edited by cringleman

Yeah, the 'post-X' terminology is a little nondescriptive for my tastes, too.

As far as I recall, I think 'Lift Yr Skinny Fists ...' is a movement from either Storm, Static or Sleep (three of four tracks on the album of that name; the last is Antennas to Heaven).

The most famous band of this genre that slipped my mind: Sigur Ros. Who are also awesome.

i wish they would make another record... because as much as i like a silver mt. zion, yanqui u.x.o. blew my noggin wide open and remains one of my favorite albums of all time.

I bought that in Edmonton, and it's a really awesome CD. However, for the most part, Explosions in the Sky have to be my favourite out of that genre.

You know, it's funny -- I do enjoy ASMZ a bit, but it's never really done it for me in the same way that GY!BE did. They're technically not broken up, though, so they could, one day, release a new album.

Personally, my new favourite instrumental band has been The Fussy Part, out of Fredericton, NB. They also play some sort of alt-pop stuff, but their big-build style ambient grooves are just slick. Their drummer also kicks some serious, serious ass. (No album, yet, though -- all the members are in other bands, so it remains a side project.)

i can only listen to those bands sometimes and not continuously. otherwise my head explodes

yeah. like when im listenning to my mp3 player in my car and a "post-rock" band comes on, i dont usually let it play, seeing as how i dont normally spend more than 20 minutes in my car at a time.

I used to be really into post rock:

Red Sparowes, GY!BE (and their many side-projects), Mono, Gregor Samsa etc

Now it's gotten kind of played out. I still dig the odd listen, especially to the album Malval by Shora.

Edit: mistake

Edited by shade

i can only listen to those bands sometimes and not continuously. otherwise my head explodes

yeah. like when im listenning to my mp3 player in my car and a "post-rock" band comes on, i dont usually let it play, seeing as how i dont normally spend more than 20 minutes in my car at a time.

It's not really driving music. It's more of studying music. I remember Mogwai and those type of bands were high in my Last.fm charts when I was studying last year.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier.

I notice that you did make an EDIT but yes, obviously Godspeed didn't coin "post-rock" which is actually a branch off of math-rock. Cringle, you've mentioned A LOT of contemporary "post-rock" groups like Godspeed, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, etc but those groups all formed in the later stages of the '90s. The true grasp of post-rock died in the mid to late 90s (dare I say 1997? Well I just did).

Groups like Slint (listen to the album Spiderland), Tortoise, Chavez, Polvo, June Of 44, Archers Of Loaf, subsequently Sebadoh, revolutionized the post-rock scene in the early '90s. These math-rock bands were more set on creating complex musical arrangements and even had vocals to blend with the songs. Post-Rock of today has really become atmospheric and 100% instrumental while the math-rock scene of the mid 90s was really dependent on guitars and a ton of feedback.

Interesting -- thanks, Moncton. I didn't know any of that.

I find it interesting that early post-rock was very guitar-driven, when the new front of the genre generally sees a large usage of guitars, but in a way that is almost equivalent to strings as arranged in more classical music.

Cool.