matt mays has a new cd coming out called "when angels make contact"

true fans of the band will love it, and you can listen to the whole album right now on the site. its amazing, thats all i can say. it is more mellow. but has a real good feel to it. makes me happy to listen to it.

it is a solo album, so if u liked matts first album, this one will be like a gift from god. enjoy.

there is a video, and a whole bunch of stuff on the site, check it out.

http://www.whentheangelsmakecontact.com/audio/

Edited by Ryan44

Word on the street is also that Mays has an album coming soon with El Torpedo.

Have you seen the super-dramatic 'movie trailer' for the When Angels Make Contact movie? (Supposedly, this is the soundtrack to a movie that hasn't been made.) The 'trailer' has Sam Roberts and El Torpedo's drummer, Tim, in it.

ya i saw the vid, and i haevnt heard a thing about a new ET album. because this one isnt even out yet, but im a devoted fan, since he first started touring with blue rodeo like 2 years ago. and i cant wait for this cd. its amazing.

spoonful of blues is my fave. i heard it on a radio thing a fw months ago, and now im stoke dthat there is a real studio verison

It's classic, stripped-down rock & roll in an older style that's rare, these days. Where Mays steps above that seemingly-unremarkable classification is in his writing.

A friend of mine that I just introduced to it, while listening to 'The Past' on the new album, remarked that she suddenly felt like she was driving somewhere on a back road in a beat-up old pickup truck (and it was a good feeling). He's frequently (and justifiably, I think) compared with the likes of Neil Young and Tom Petty in his songwriting ability.

Blue Rodeo's pretty much just old-style roots rock or a little country, but few would argue that they're currently a national treasure.

Ryan: I heard Spoonful of Blues (now Spoonful of Sugar, apparently) on a live radio performance over a year ago -- so good. For people in Mays' home town during hurricane Juan, two years ago, the song's pretty reminiscent of that: "this year the trees fell before the leaves." Hell of a song.

Edit: Also of note: renowned Halifax rapper Buck 65 on the title track.

Edited by cringleman

an older style that's rare, these days.

i'm not sure that stripped down, old school rock is exactly rare, at the moment. bands like jet, the vines, the strokes and the like have been playing that card for the last few years (not that it's a bad card to play, mind you).

an older style that's rare, these days.

i'm not sure that stripped down, old school rock is exactly rare, at the moment. bands like jet, the vines, the strokes and the like have been playing that card for the last few years (not that it's a bad card to play, mind you).

i dont really think that what those bands have done lately can be considered anything close to what matt, and el torpedo do. those are more...i dont even know what to call that genre, its like, pop/indie/rock/other. i would say that sam roberts is closer to those bands than matt. if u have listened to anything other than the Matt Mays & El Torpedo album, with the songs like "cocaine cowgirl", "on the hood", u will see how different it is. his first solo album was way more folk based, and this new one hits on alot of that too. but also shows how different hee can be. for instance there is a kind of techno song on there, and otehr interesting stuff, its totally different, only a few songs sound like they are from the same artist. i dont know, but matts has a feeling about it.

A friend of mine that I just introduced to it, while listening to 'The Past' on the new album, remarked that she suddenly felt like she was driving somewhere on a back road in a beat-up old pickup truck (and it was a good feeling). He's frequently (and justifiably, I think) compared with the likes of Neil Young and Tom Petty in his songwriting ability.

wow. i feel the same way. it has a feeling. like just a good ride on a open road, windows down, music up, with friends.

and his songwriting is totally like the stoner rock gods mentioned. those guys are iconic to me. i am no stoner, but love the music, its good relaxing fun rock.

Blue Rodeo's pretty much just old-style roots rock or a little country, but few would argue that they're currently a national treasure.

Ryan: I heard Spoonful of Blues (now Spoonful of Sugar, apparently) on a live radio performance over a year ago -- so good.

also wow to the blue rodeo thing. they definately had a big hand in matts stuff. you can totally here greg keelor's sound in most of his stuff, like raspy tough rock, i think that blue rodeo's albume "lost together" touches it the best, it was the rockinest one.

with the spoonful of blues thing, i heard it on a radio thing, on the Q on the east coast. that was probably it. its on the net somewhere too.

For people in Mays' home town during hurricane Juan, two years ago, the song's pretty reminiscent of that: "this year the trees fell before the leaves." Hell of a song.

ya that is good stuff. my uncle owns a restaurant or 2 out there, they were on the news, because they got messed up pretty bad. McKelvie's is one of them, it was on the news, lots of damage, and Salty Dog's On The Waterfront.

check em out!

Edited by Ryan44

This new material is incredible. I'm really impressed.

I'm not really suprised with the electronica-type stuff on the album though, it's kinda neat to hear some of his original stuff from that genre. He DJ's at a bar here in Halifax every now and then. Used to be every Saturday I think but now obviously not so much with the touring and all.

It was kinda funny actually. I went to a show at this bar for another band and the band usually covers "Cocaine Cowgirl" apparently, and they had seen Matt Mays in the crowd. The lead singer was like, "We have this Matt Mays cover that we usually do at every show but uhhhhhh..."

Then you hear Matt from the back shouting "Let 'er rip!"

Too bad the cover licked donkey balls.

'Let 'er rip.' Hahaha. Mays rocks. Back when he had the pigtails and wore denim all the damn time, a friend of mine almost handed him a sandwich during a 'feed the homeless' thing.

Ryan's right, too -- while there's a very stripped-down quality to The Hives, the Vines, et al., it certainly isn't roots rock. You couldn't make a direct comparison to The Band, for example.

As a side note, I can't believe Ryan's uncle owns McKelvie's; small world. That place has some good food.

Finally I got around to download a few of his songs. Really nice... I like City Of Lakes.

i live in the city of lakes. and "st. georges lane" (another one of his songs) is a stones throw from my place. it's kinda cool hearing references to places you know on the radio instead of them being obscure and foreign. same applies to joel plaskett: "Walked home across the bridge when the Marquee shut down". first time i heard that on the radio i was like 'fuck yeah...i've done that!'