supercanuk

Check Out My Video!

Heh...classy. As I said before, your camera seemed to pick up the sound pretty well. I'll need to test mine at some point, all I've got is the ar stuff so far.

Give Maya my regards for the choice of music...heheh

Edited by Sparq

Sweet video, although I personally don't agree with it for the U of M. The engineers are going to be voting soon to voluntarily raise their tuition by 40%, and the Arts students already did it a few years ago. Profs here are paid an average of 10% lower than the national average, and there aren't enough TA's to go around for over-sized classes and some labs frequently get canceled. At least one student lounge has no heating, and I could see my breath last time I was in there. So, while no one wants to pay more tuition, I think people have to look at it realistically. I don't know the conditions of universities elsewhere, so I won't comment on those situations. I will say this, though: tuition fees have to increase at a reasonable and manageable rate if the school is to remain (for lack of better wording) good and viable (one of the main concerns for our engineers is that employers will start to regard U of M grads in a lesser light).

St. FX, here I come ;) .

why the hell did you have to include jack layton in the video? i mean, how far up was his nose in the students asses? great editing on the video, but the who jack layton thing, he just seems like that creepy uncle of tries way to hard to be cool.

also, why wasnt there any posters around algonquin about this event?

why the hell did you have to include jack layton in the video? i mean, how far up was his nose in the students asses? great editing on the video, but the who jack layton thing, he just seems like that creepy uncle of tries way to hard to be cool.

Because you guys pay like half the tuition we do haha, but yah i dont know, the organizer's really focused on the university's because they want post-secondary education at the university to be more accessible.

Jack Layton's inclusion was a necessary evil, you know i do not approve of the guy but the NDP have a really progressive bill (C-398) that will see more federal transfers go to the province to subsidize education and make it more accessible.

no yu begin wher i end:

I think if the students voted for an increase in tuition that'd be amazing. I think that democratising the post-secondary institution in as many ways as possible are a clear indication of a heathly and vibrant local democracy. Seriously, kudo's to you guys for taking the initiative and improving your conditions by a democratic vote. The whole issue in fact which you may wittingly or unwittingly touched on was the sheer disparity accross the nation. Their are areas of high tuition with great services and amazing universities which become increasingly inaccessible (like Ontario) and then campuses falling apart due to chronic underfunding. So in your situation im glad that your raising your own tuition as a willing choice and improving the conditions your learning under. We however, have no choice, dont know where any of the money is going that our tuition pays for, and increasingly are burdened with heavy debts that we dont think match what is reasonable for an education.

So yeah, tuition does have to raise, in some instances i'd suggest, and depending on the money going to actually improving the conditions id be for it, but in our case we dont even know where its going and we want a bit of a break! lol

Because you guys pay like half the tuition we do haha, but yah i dont know, the organizer's really focused on the university's because they want post-secondary education at the university to be more accessible.

well, at least your teachers haven't gone on strike yet... and why are you bitching about money? you have more NF$ then me! i am sure you can use those for your tuition.

also

Jack Layton's inclusion was a necessary evil, you know i do not approve of the guy
it is only monday, but that just made my week.

Jack Layton's inclusion was a necessary evil, you know i do not approve of the guy but the NDP have a really progressive bill (C-398) that will see more federal transfers go to the province to subsidize education and make it more accessible.

no yu begin wher i end:

I think if the students voted for an increase in tuition that'd be amazing. I think that democratising the post-secondary institution in as many ways as possible are a clear indication of a heathly and vibrant local democracy. Seriously, kudo's to you guys for taking the initiative and improving your conditions by a democratic vote. The whole issue in fact which you may wittingly or unwittingly touched on was the sheer disparity accross the nation. Their are areas of high tuition with great services and amazing universities which become increasingly inaccessible (like Ontario) and then campuses falling apart due to chronic underfunding. So in your situation im glad that your raising your own tuition as a willing choice and improving the conditions your learning under. We however, have no choice, dont know where any of the money is going that our tuition pays for, and increasingly are burdened with heavy debts that we dont think match what is reasonable for an education.

So yeah, tuition does have to raise, in some instances i'd suggest, and depending on the money going to actually improving the conditions id be for it, but in our case we dont even know where its going and we want a bit of a break! lol

Yeah, and I think a lot of it is just smarter spending, too. I mean, the university president doens't have to be making ~ $350,000 a year.

We however, have no choice, dont know where any of the money is going that our tuition pays for, and increasingly are burdened with heavy debts that we dont think match what is reasonable for an education.

Yeah, some clarity on the administration's part doesn't seem like too much to ask of them. I didn't know things were effed up like that, so good on ya ;) !