borntohula

Alice In Chains To Release New Album

I've been listening to Alice in Chains a lot more lately. Such a great band. Jar of Flies is one of my favorite albums.

So sad Layne is gone.

I mean, I'm not gonna say that this new album will automatically suck. But it's just...not the same. I dunno.

I will buy it. Duvall is definitely not Layne, but I saw them live when they opened up for Velvet Revolver. It was a great show. But I knew it wasn't the same by a long shot. But Jerry Cantrell is awesome, and he shaped the sound of the band.

I don't think this band should be called Alice in Chains anymore, after RATM broke up and got Chris Cornell they became Audioslave (which was a terrible band anyway).

Alice in Chains will not be the same without Lane, the shared vocals between him and Jerry were just awesome, and I don't see Jerry doing that type of thing anymore.

Zwan actaully wasn't that bad. They had some good stuff.

But their existance really has cheapened the return of the Smashing Pumpkins. It's like Zwan 2, only the Smashing Pumpkins.

And I am a big big SP fan. One of my top 3 favorite bands ever. But sometimes I just shake my head at how that situation developed.

Plus Billy Corgan had to release that terrible solo album before he realized what he really needed to do.

Jimmy Chamberlain's solo album was actually really awesome though.

Ok back to Alice in Chains. I love Alice in Chains. I don't think tehre's anything wrong with keeping that title. If anything it means that people can still hear those songs played live...if nothing else as a tribute to Layne's legacy. I don't have a problem with that. If they go by another name they don't necessarily get to play Alice in Chains songs that people want to hear, right?

Zwan actaully wasn't that bad. They had some good stuff.

But their existance really has cheapened the return of the Smashing Pumpkins. It's like Zwan 2, only the Smashing Pumpkins.

And I am a big big SP fan. One of my top 3 favorite bands ever. But sometimes I just shake my head at how that situation developed.

Plus Billy Corgan had to release that terrible solo album before he realized what he really needed to do.

Jimmy Chamberlain's solo album was actually really awesome though.

Ok back to Alice in Chains. I love Alice in Chains. I don't think tehre's anything wrong with keeping that title. If anything it means that people can still hear those songs played live...if nothing else as a tribute to Layne's legacy. I don't have a problem with that. If they go by another name they don't necessarily get to play Alice in Chains songs that people want to hear, right?

audioslave played soundgarden and RATM songs... no one felt cheated by that.

they can play whatever they want. frankly, they can be called whatever they want, too... but like the new doors or whatever they're called, with a new singer, it just seems like they'd be stuck being a cover band of their own songs. i think at least a name change would symbolize a new chapter. a new direction. where they weren't using their old catalog as a crutch. they could still play the old stuff, but head in a new direction at the same time.

Having seen them this summer, Jerry held up his end of the vocal thing very well. It was a great show. I could agree that it's weird calling them Alice In Chains...but at the same time, it's the rest of the band's right to call it whatever they want.

didn't one of you here say when they were touring that cantrell said if they recorded again, they'd change their name? and who says you can't change your name and still play the old songs? some one must have reminded him that if they keep the old name, they can cash in on the nostalgia seekers, who probably don't even know that layne is dead, but will recognize the name (to be read 'brand') on the record store shelf and buy it, thinking, "oh yeah...i remember grunge. alice in chains were good. i didn't know they were still together. huh." i don't bame him, really. sales are sales.

news!

Alice In Chains are currently in a Los Angeles, CA area studio working on their new album with producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Shadows Fall). A 2009 release date is expected. For now the band have also been confirmed to appear on Australia's previously announced "Soundwave Festival", which kicks off on February 21st.

bad news about raskulinecz, but what can you do?

good news is, duvall can handle the old stuff well, so they'll be exciting to see live:

still though, change your fucking name guys.

My brother and I had a similar discussion but in regards to Blind Melon, who have released a new album with a new vocalist and have gone on tour. And while it isn't Shannon Hoon, the new singer is fantastic and breathes that same life into the songs, and the new album sounds like they picked up right where they left off. I think it's up to the band to decide if they want to keep the same name, and if, like Blind Melon, the same sound, the same sort of feel is kept, then why not?

Truthfully, outside of a few songs, I've never been a huge fan of AIC, so I really don't think it's a big deal, but for fans who have put a lot of time into the band, I can see why they might be perturbed.

they're not gonna change the name, guys. get over it.

to be honest, i'd prefer another cantrell solo album to a new alice album with a new singer. but for whatever reason jerry doesn't feel that his voice is strong enough to lead a band so i'm guessing that will never happen. i think william does the songs justice, and i'm sure the album will be great - will's own band ain't too shabby, so it's not like the guy can't hang, not to mention he and cantrell have been working together for quite some time now, so they've obviously got a good chemistry - but i'll never be fully comfortable with a foursome alice that doesn't include layne.

for whatever reason, jerry feels that the name "alice in chains" is more marketable than the name "jerry cantrell". i won't even listen to the new disc. not out of spite or anything. i'm just not interested in chains sans layne.

i seriously doubt that. jerry's very much a regular dude, not to mention crazy influential and seriously respected by his peers. he funded a good portion of his solo tour out of his own pocket. fool is not doing this shit to be marketable. he's doing it because he can and because whether or not YOU want to hear it, a hell of a lot of other people DO. he will make money regardless of what name he records under because he is the fucking man.

don't hate, chris. william is not a disappointment. he's just got an afro. and a tendency to wear brightly colored trousers that hug his junk. he has a good voice and he truly does gel with the guys. no, it is not the same. but that doesn't mean it can't be good.

that said, of course i'd still rather have a cantrell solo album.

Edited by mrs jesus

Wow, that was a most lucid and profound, posting Mrs. Jesus...I'll admit again, that the name thing kind of bothered me...but I give credit where credit is due, and Duvall, is a bad motherfucker, and they definitely gelled as a unit very nicely.

I don't give a shit what they're called...as long as that album is kick ass.

alice has been my favorite band since i was like 14. they are a subject i am rather passionate about. don't be so surprised that i can make a whole lotta fuckin' sense. it's common knowledge that i am smarter than the average bear, you just haven't chosen to focus on that aspect of me.

I was a little older than you when they first came on the scene(Not that much though) They opened for Van Halen, and I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!!!It was one of those rare times when a headliner was picked by a major band, that actually kicked ass!!! They have always been one of my favs...someone once told me it was blasphemy for me to say this, but I was more bothered by Layne's death, than Cobain's.

As for the rest of what you said...that can both ways. I never doubted any of that about you...it just seems to get clouded in some of the not so nice things you say.

...someone once told me it was blasphemy for me to say this, but I was more bothered by Layne's death, than Cobain's.

i was too. whoever said that is stupid. it makes sense that if you connect more with one band than the other you'd be much more affected when your singer dies.

I said the same thing. I loved Nirvana, the music was good stuff. But Cobain, just came off like a trainwreck from the beginning, and there was always that feeling of, this is going to end badly, with him. The MTV unplugged, was what really sent the message to me...he seemed like a ghost. When it was over, it was over...there was no real need for anymore music from them.

With Layne, there was always this hope that he would get it together. Even more so, there was something so alive in the music. His lyrics are still like living breathing things. It always feels like there should be more from him.