Crusader

Will Smith, Scientologist

I don't know if you've all heard yet but we all lost Will Smith to Scientology.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/01/...cientology.html

** FUN FACT! DJ Jazzy Jeff is a level 12 Operating Thetan!

Basically, during the wrap up of his last movie he gave everyone coupons for "free personality tests" at their local Scientology building.

** FUN FACT! Personality tests were already free!

Why Will, why? ;)

Hey I read that he ultimately didn't join because he prefers his own God...weird

What's with Hollywood and Scientology for God's sake! ;)

Edited by Prosis

i don't care that he is a Scientologist but the whole fact that he gave coupons for "free personality tests" is what bothers me. That is just like a Christian giving out cross necklaces or a Jew giving out... money? had I been there, i would've torn the coupon up right in front of him, eaten it and then shit it out.

on a related note, I want to see Hancock (the movie that they just wrapped that he apparently gave out the free personality test coupons at.)

I can respect what Smith said in that last article. Making an effort to understand the views of others doesn't have to mean that you agree with them. The world would be a much more peaceful place if more of us had that mentality. I think it would be really interesting to hear what someone who believes in Scientology had to say about their beliefs. Not everyone has the same perspective on religion, and things aren't always what they seem.

Edited by Christing

The whole challenge of this life is to decide what is true for yourself based on your thoughts and feelings regarding what you've been presented, whether others see it as true or not. If you look at any idea and think "that's crazy", then it is, to you. It's all a matter of choice in believing or not, and an educated decision is better than an ignorant one in my opinion. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to know about something, even if it's seen as weird to most.

[hide_me]They're a cult, lets just get that out of the way, no country acknowledges them and they've even been banned in some. They originally got the boot in the UK and I believe Germany, omg even the Germans, recently banned them from their country.

They just want your money, there are required books (written by a scifi writer) and classes/seminars you must attend and if you don't have the money to afford it they'll help you sell your house, car, and a new loan!

As for the free personality tests, they are, indeed, free but if you want your results, which are always "very depressed" or "mildly depressed," you have to go to one of their buildings, be evaluated again and buy the results along with classes that will "heal" you. All this while never leaving you alone or letting you get much sleep.

Anyway, if you want to see how they actually harass people check out the BBC's Panorama episode on Scientology. They followed the reporter around and tried to break him/disrepute him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pG49lg5AU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pnG--NCL4KI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wGecZssWc5M

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8IQ0Z_G_U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCGP-0545EU

I don't think the Catholics, Buddhists, Jews, or Muslims give a fuck when someone says something bad about them but it seems like our friends would go through any means to keep up a positive image.

If you have the time try and take a psych or soc class that covers cults and religions, when we covered Scientology it was really interesting.

It's like the best scam ever, I wish I came up with it myself. Maybe I could base it on Frank Herbert's Dune series? I'm sure I could get me some minor celebrities... Think David Spade would be in?[/hide_me]

[Hidden Text]

those links didn't show me anything i didn't already know about scientology. the program itself was pretty corny and just demonstrated how the leaders of the churches are concerned about how their religion and church is portrayed.

the people that are getting hurt or abused with money are people who are or were directly involved with the church. and that sucks real hard for them, and i feel bad. but it is in no means as serious as the countless wars that have been started or instigated around the world because of other religions, specifically christianity.

i'm not saying that scientology is a worthwhile religion, it's quite clearly bullshit. but the more publicity it gets the more people are going to be interested in the religion. it takes a certain kind of person to get highly involved with churches, and when those kinds of people hear about scientology they may easily want to get involved. everyone cries about how scientology just wants money, when every church or holy building or any religion does the same, just in much smaller amounts and in different ways. it's their money, and i don't think it should be such a concern of ours how they spend it. if people want it to go away, stop shitting your pants about it.

I agree with Meg. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying that I think they have the right idea, however, from a marketing stand point those videos clearly had a strong bias to them. They were interesting, but have a kind of Micheal Moore feel to them, and the other with dark music, etc. I'd actually like to see the video made in debate of the BBC report, whether it contains false allegations or not. This "church" considers what the BBC claims to be false allegations as well. Judging anything without having all the information available by all parties is unjust. If any of the current major religions were constantly being accused of being a cult, I am sure they would start to get a little irate over it as well. Maybe their organization does fit the definition of a cult, however if you look up religion in the dictionary, it can fit that as well, so who are we to say they're wrong? Sure these people look a little nuts, but they are probably constantly being called crazy, which would drive anyone mad overtime. If you hear something enough, you start to believe it. I'm not a supporter of any kind of organized religion, so please don't think I'm a undercover Scientologist here to defend my beliefs, but if these people are denying all these things that the media claim without the proof to back it up, who are we to believe either side? This is just another case of religion causing war in my opinion. What else is new?

Edited by Christing

The world would be a much more peaceful place if more of us had that mentality.

The whole challenge of this life is to decide what is true for yourself based on your thoughts and feelings regarding what you've been presented, whether others see it as true or not. If you look at any idea and think "that's crazy", then it is, to you. It's all a matter of choice in believing or not, and an educated decision is better than an ignorant one in my opinion. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to know about something, even if it's seen as weird to most.

Marry me...really...I adore you :angry:

I completely agree with you 100% totally yes ma'am! ;)

I was just standin' there, then Tom Cruise locked himself in the closet. Why won't he come out da' closet. Now John Travolta's in there too... So I pull out my gun! If you don't tell me why their in the closet I'm gonna' shoot someone!

I was just standin' there, then Tom Cruise locked himself in the closet. Why won't he come out da' closet. Now John Travolta's in there too... So I pull out my gun! If you don't tell me why their in the closet I'm gonna' shoot someone!

godammit tom cruise get out of ma clawzet

It's just that I completely agree and people who think like that are so rare...!

Because like Meg said, if everyone left everyone have their own beliefs (unless they hurt anyone) then the world would be a better place.

How many conflicts, no matter their size (from little word fighting in a cafeteria to street fights and huge wars) are sparked because two people or group of people disagree on a simple belief...

but it is in no means as serious as the countless wars that have been started or instigated around the world because of other religions, specifically christianity.

that's a sad justification for freedom of beliefs, don't you think? the lesser of two evils? let's face it, fanaticism of any kind is destructive, no matter who you're doing it with. in my mind everyone is free to practise whatever faith they'd like, so long as they don't impose it on me, which at this point i think the scientologists are doing far more fervently than any other religion.

tom cruise might be crazy, he might not be-- regardless, that religion has found its ticket through his nutball qualities. frankly i think he'd be apeshit regardless of what faith he practices... take beck for example. he's a practising scientologist, but i've never seen him running around and yelling about it. in fact, he's the exact opposite of tom cruise: he keeps his beliefs to himself and i respect that.

i think the organization is using tom cruise to their full advantage... after all, there is no such thing as bad press.

also, anton, i think you should somehow base your new religion on stargate.