What do you guys think of Portishead? I'm a HUGE fan of their first album, Dummy. Their second one is alright, but not fantastic.

I just picked up their third album (aptly titled "Third") and it's a different than their old stuff, while still remaining undeniably Portishead on all but a few songs. I think it's probably their weakest record, although Magic Doors is probably in my top 3 songs by them.

If you've never listened to Portishead, they are ambient and emotional at the same time. Pick up their first album Dummy, and I can almost guarantee you won't be disappointed. Trip hope really isn't my thing, but that album is simply fantastic.

Beth Gibbons is pretty much the only female vocalist who can pull of the hardcore self-loathing and actually have me BELIEVE IT. An amazing singer for sure.

Edit: Here's a link to Magic Doors, from the new album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMW679qlwrc&feature=related

Edited by Prometheon

i downloaded the album back in march when it was leaked, and i am really enjoying it, my favorite song off of it so far is Machine Gun and We Carry On. I am glade that they are back after all these years.

also glory box should be used in a sex scene in a james bond movie.

I think it's probably their weakest record

saaay whaaaaat?!

it's different, but it's definitely not their weakest.

i like that they use no samples at all... it completely distances this record from their previous material while still maintaining that harrowing and extremely dark quality to their music that we've come to expect. keep listening to it... it'll grow on you. it took me awhile, but it's like nothing i've ever heard before.

good egg for starting this topic, though. i made a point to, but kept forgetting. its nice to talk about something that isn't oasis or "death cab."

I really don't see how Machine Gun is the Single.

The beat is seriously fuckin' annoying and ruins everything. It rivals the beat in Fort Minor's Petrified.

Magic Doors, Silence, The Rip, and possibly Plastic are the songs to sample.

To me, Magic Doors was almost ruined by that random explosion of weird ass trumpet. Makes me reminisce of Hurt.

i think machine gun is awesome. it's intense... and the beat is like a perverted version of the one from "blue monday."

i don't doubt that this album isn't for everybody, but i can't resist beth gibbons' voice, or the really sparse, bleak music.

Tim: I'm liking it a lot more as well. The only thing that pains me is hat friggin` "Deep Water" song.

ya know, I hated Deep Water at first too, now I kinda dig it. it reminds me of older music but with newer style kinda