Crusader

Star Trek Picard

I really enjoyed the first episode.  However, my opinion is basically this.  It is a good show, but its not "star trek"  or not good "star trek".  Star Trek is supposed to be bright, altruistic, humans have evolved etc;.  This is like a slap in the face to what Star Trek was.  This kind of stuff is good for alternate reality type episodes but I think they are trying to build on some future where the Federation collapses.  They are basically making people act like 21st century humans and it's annoying.  Its not Star Trek and I'm not a troll for thinking  or saying it.  The inmates are running the asylum.  People are also writing for the show who don't know anything about Star Trek, there is no effort like in the previous series to try and pay tribute to Gene's vision.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've been watching it... and enjoying it, but I agree that it isn't star trek. 

I was a huge star trek fan back in the day, and still love revisiting the old series (TNG through voyager anyway), but I find that TPTB have it stuck in their heads that "star trek" doesn't sell, so they repackage it as darker, more violent, sexier, etc... which completely destroys the whole premise. That being said, I accept that its sci-fi with some familiar actors that I like and keep "star trek" out of my head when I watch it (Hell, you'd have to do that to watch JJ's movies, most of enterprise, etc)

if you are on the fence, and want it trekkier, you will probably shut it off in disgust at the end of the 3rd episode. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/24/2020 at 6:30 PM, Sly Botts said:

I really enjoyed the first episode.  However, my opinion is basically this.  It is a good show, but its not "star trek"  or not good "star trek".  Star Trek is supposed to be bright, altruistic, humans have evolved etc;.  This is like a slap in the face to what Star Trek was.  This kind of stuff is good for alternate reality type episodes but I think they are trying to build on some future where the Federation collapses.  They are basically making people act like 21st century humans and it's annoying.  Its not Star Trek and I'm not a troll for thinking  or saying it.  The inmates are running the asylum.  People are also writing for the show who don't know anything about Star Trek, there is no effort like in the previous series to try and pay tribute to Gene's vision.

Spoilers

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I've watched all of the episodes up until the season finale just out of curiosity (and there are some good aspects) but I've felt like I've been forcing myself to do so just out of respect for Patrick and the original cast. Like most people have said, it just does feel like the original universe. I get that things always change in real life, but I'm more so referring to texture, tonality, and feel of the show. For example, the whole torture/gore intro- where they reintroduced Seven of Nine back into the series (and where they show Icheb having his eye ball pulled out)- was just far too over the top. Like Folksinger said, it felt like a bunch of network execs thought it would be "cool" to make things more violent and while that works for certain shows, it just didn't work for this series. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, daniel_v said:

Spoilers

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I've watched all of the episodes up until the season finale just out of curiosity (and there are some good aspects) but I've felt like I've been forcing myself to do so just out of respect for Patrick and the original cast. Like most people have said, it just does feel like the original universe. I get that things always change in real life, but I'm more so referring to texture, tonality, and feel of the show. For example, the whole torture/gore intro- where they reintroduced Seven of Nine back into the series (and where they show Icheb having his eye ball pulled out)- was just far too over the top. Like Folksinger said, it felt like a bunch of network execs thought it would be "cool" to make things more violent and while that works for certain shows, it just didn't work for this series. 

Edit- mean to say  "It doesn't feel like the original universe". 

• Upvote 1

On 8/23/2020 at 8:45 PM, daniel_v said:

Spoilers

I just loved the TNG-DS9-Voyager era aesthetics. The way it was filmed, how it looked. I liked that. I'm not big on the lens flares, ADHD hyper acting and crazy constant action. Not my thing. Still good though! I like the new stuff as sci-fi shows, I just like how the older stuff was filmed better.  If they said "All of this new Star Trek is an alternate universe" I would be totally on board with anything they did. That way they are not destroying the original stuff we loved before (which includes Enterprise for me).

• Upvote 2

Echoing many of the comments here, I was beyond excited for this (as a huge TNG fan) and was pleased with the first few episodes. That all being said, the season quickly went off the rails and I was wholly dissapointed by the end. Stewart gave a great performance throughout, but the store left me wanting in so many ways.

One thing I kept thinking while watching was, 'who is this for?'

It seems like they were trying to bridge the gap between capturing a new audience, and pandering to die-hards...and in the end, I feel like they failed on both fronts.

I was so not into this that I have little interest in watching a second season. Such a missed-opportunity in my opinion.

• Upvote 1