no yu begin wher i end

The Bible Et Al.

Should religious texts be interpreted literally, at (or near) 100% face value?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should religious texts be interpreted literally, at (or near) 100% face value?

• Yes
    • No

i've read the bible and it was boring haha.

i think the bible does have other meanings then just what is apparent. that is with any book.

haha read the da vinci code. of course, you can't anything as the full truth but this sounds alright to me.

practise respondsible religion.

Yah, but Monica Bellucci is a babe. This borntohulaguy is clearly right. I've run it through my fact checker, he's on the ball. I don't see how there's any way someone could put their faith in that book like it was an historical recording of what transpired. No matter how you look at it, there is no way it could be. That's not to say it isn't.

sorry this is kinda a tangent ... but i think its really hard for young people follow a religion these days. We have grown up in a 'politically correct' world and i dont think its possible for me to dedicate my life to a higer power. It feels like a cult no matter what book what its from.

I find this question to be retarded. Of course the Bible should not be taken literally. Nor should any other book. Nor should anything labelled as "fact". Let's face it, truth is relative. As long as humans are involved baises will exist.

The original editors of the Bible, though they had good intentions on keeping the information truthful, were of course influenced by their own, personal, beliefs. The same can be said of any "non-fiction" document.

sorry this is kinda a tangent ... but i think its really hard for young people follow a religion these days. We have grown up in a 'politically correct' world and i dont think its possible for me to dedicate my life to a higer power. It feels like a cult no matter what book what its from.

Au contraire, young people may well be the easiest to get suckered into religions. I mean, I've been brought up Roman Catholic, and mentally got off that boat when I started thinking for myself, though being under my parents' roof, I don't have a choice to go to church or not.

I mean, young kids are very impressionable, and if you go to Sunday school or a Catholic school (as I do), the academic texts you read on religion are very persuasive. The way the voice of the book talks to you, the way it purposely tries to get the idea in your head that you can't be a "good person" without belonging to a religion (and I'm not kidding about that), and the way it seems to "care" (i use that word loosely) as to whether or not you actually believe in God... it's disgusting. The way we were taught in religion class in elementary school, we were not even introduced to the idea that other religions exist, or that other people didn't believe in a God... when one kid asked our teacher in grade 3 about the public school across the street, the teacher replied "They believe that a different person created the universe."

All in the name of the Bible, and perpetuating the Catholic church. Obviously, I've strayed from the line of discussion, but religion is a personal thing. People should have the free ability to go to a church and worship as they please. The way the Christian faith (all denominations) get kids to keep coming back isn't pretty. And having talked to other people about this, my experience wasn't exactly unique, and not specific to Roman Catholicism.

Sometimes I think its hard to get religion out of people's minds.

I go to a public school where there is a wide range of people with different religions. I know a few people who are very into their Christian faith. So much so, that they've actually created a club called 'Reality Check' as an extracurricular activity within the school. They promote it over the morning announcements as "A club for Christans to come together to talk about God, and get a reality check.. but anyone can come and listen!" I'm nearly positive they were forced to add that to the end, which is a little sad. A few people who've joined it have "Jesus loves you" sewed onto their backpacks, and carry about bibles with fluffy covers. The other day I was thinking how ridiculous this seems.. that no one else in my school, or even that I know, is this caught up in advertising their faith.

And dont get me wrong, one of my best friends is Christian. The only difference is that she doesnt feel the need to promote it.

Sorry, that was a little off the poll's topic.