no yu begin wher i end

The Bible Et Al.

Should religious texts be interpreted literally, at (or near) 100% face value?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should religious texts be interpreted literally, at (or near) 100% face value?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think that they can be taken at 100% face value. I've found that there's lot's of contradictions and absurdities to take, for example, the Bible literally. I see it as more of an historical text with editorials of the times than complete holy writ. What do you folks think?

Interesting question. Since the Bible was written by many people over a long period of time, it's very important to understand the context, history, etc of each particular part when interpreting it. People often take it out of context to make it mean something it doesn't even intend.

My take on the bible is that it's a historical story. A fictional novel based on historical facts.

My whole feeling with religion and the bible is that it was created to keep people scared and in line. It was an extra way of policing society by offering a divine explanation to things that couldn't be explained. And somehow it really stuck up until today.

I'm not religous at all, and I am amazed that some people truly believe that god created and man and that there is a god. I tend to believe in the more scientific ideas for most things.

I also have a real problem with the way that religion can discriminate. However, it's not all bad as there are many religous people who have taken it and become a better, more generous and caring person.

I guess to each their own, just don't try to force religion on me or make me feel bad because I don't believe I god.

actually no. he dies at the end of matthew, mark, luke and john, but the other books don't necessarily deal with JC as much as the four apostles.

and if you want to get technical, he comes back to life at the end of Revelations and the 133 000 or whatever chosen ones enter the kingdom of Heaven.

edit: and no, religious texts should never be interpreted literally, that's what's caused all the problems in the first place.

Edited by wonks

The Bible, especially the New Testament isn't all that "oppressive." It's just often mis-used. For example people who live by the Bible are often expect to go to church and do various other things. If ya read the story of Jesus, he never said anything about that. He was never "alright, fork over 10% of your wages and I'll tell ya some good stuff" nor did he say people should all go to church on a sunday, sing in choirs and so forth. Alot of the times he just preached to a small group of people (his regulars, the 12 apostles) though occasioally speaking to large crowds of whoever would listen.

well I'm sure he preached...he was a rabbi. but that's beside the point. Jesus' message was peace and love of your fellow man. for some reason, fundamentalists of all religions seem to think that the main message of religion is to kill/convert all those who don't believe.

well I'm sure he preached...he was a rabbi. but that's beside the point. Jesus' message was peace and love of your fellow man. for some reason, fundamentalists of all religions seem to think that the main message of religion is to kill/convert all those who don't believe.

You're absolutely right.

Yah the Bible definately shouldn't be taken literally, because it's a story with unknown origins. To put your faith in a belief is fine, it's human nature. But to put your faith in a book is crazy. It's like me listening to a copy of the original War of the Worlds broadcast and thinking that because its a news broadcast it must be true. I wouldn't know the context that it was originally written so I can't know it's true meaning and nature. The stories in the Bible are all recorded versions of stories that were passed down from generation to generation, with each author putting in his own little touch. I'm told that Shakespeare translated part of it and there is actually a part where he put in his name. I find it disgusting that there are schools that teach kids the ditty "Jesus loves me this I know, I know this because the Bible tells me so." That's one hell of a reason to know something.

I also really hate the idea that you have to perfect to get into Heaven. But if you happen to fuck up, you can just apologise and it's another free ride to Heaven.

This is life, no one's perfect, everyone fucks up. I don't think you should be scared into being a good person. Everyone has the right to choose how to live and how they want to handle situations. If you fuck up, then learn from it and move on.

Maybe I'm looking at the extreme sense of it but I still don't like it.

i believe in the bible. maybe not like others do, but it speaks the guidelines christians should live by. i have never thought the bible said you should go to church (i've got a meeting with my old pastor on wednesday because i've boycotted mine actually) or said this or that. there isn't really a problem with the bible, just the people who use it and how it's used. its not supposed to be used to scare people into repentence, its to show Jesus's unconditional love. people are just stupid. they don't realize they are doing more good then bad. they just hear their minister or whatever preach about something and just take it like that.

i don't push my beliefs about anything on anyone. yeah, i don't drink, but not because the bible says not to (it doesn't say not to drink, just not get drunk because then you do stupid things) i don't drink because there is alcoholism in my family and i'm slutty when i'm drunk. i don't fool around and have sex not because the bible says not to but because i don't want to get pregnant.

it's a shame that some poeple have ruined christianity for everyone.

i believe in the bible. maybe not like others do, but it speaks the guidelines christians should live by. i have never thought the bible said you should go to church (i've got a meeting with my old pastor on wednesday because i've boycotted mine actually) or said this or that. there isn't really a problem with the bible, just the people who use it and how it's used. its not supposed to be used to scare people into repentence, its to show Jesus's unconditional love. people are just stupid. they don't realize they are doing more good then bad. they just hear their minister or whatever preach about something and just take it like that.

i don't push my beliefs about anything on anyone. yeah, i don't drink, but not because the bible says not to (it doesn't say not to drink, just not get drunk because then you do stupid things) i don't drink because there is alcoholism in my family and i'm slutty when i'm drunk. i don't fool around and have sex not because the bible says not to but because i don't want to get pregnant.

it's a shame that some poeple have ruined christianity for everyone.

you can have sex without getting preggers.. look into it. i'll help you out if you get confused along the way.

back to jesus and the bible...

no one is going to agree on this. not even two christians.

first off, the bible was initially written in hebrew. a language that happens to not have any vowels. that makes translating a bit difficult. also, punctuation did not exist at the time of the bible's inception. so a lot of it could be made up.

also, the stories told in the bible have been passed down by many generations before they were actually written, and im sure for those of you who played a game of "broken telephone" when you were younger, you know that when stories are passed from one person to the next, information can be alterred. sometimes drastically. seeing as the new testament wasn't actually written until many years after jesus' death, how do we know that what is written is fact?

similarly, the fact that jesus himself seems to represent the traditional epic "hero", who is present in stories written by people like virgil, who was around prior to jesus' time, shows to me that the bible is more of a literature than a history. heroes usually are some kind of foundling (like moses or mowgli), they endure some kind of trial (like beowulf, henry v), they "die", either figuratively or literally, and then experience a kind of rebirth.

however, the bible is a historical text and has greatly affected who we are as human beings, regardless of what is actually written inside of it.

in actuallity, the bible contains many of what jung would call archetypes. in many religions and faiths, prior to christianity, there have been "great flood" stories. things like that, which in my opinion, shouldn't be forgotten.

man i've written too much.

end.