supercanuk

Religion Itself Is The Fount Of Most Evil

When I become supreme dictator of the world I'm going to hoard irrationalist christians,muslims, buddhists etc into detainment centers where they will be psychologically evaluated and treated. this will isolate them and prevent them from spreading stupidity aswell as interfering with intelligent society. The economy will boom and I will be a god.It will become a crime to be stupid.

Why was Nazi the first thing that came into my mind when I read that?

Two words: Room 101

Personaly, I think the observation that religion if the fount of all evil is closed minded and uneducated (no-offense). Religion, early on, was created to explain the unexplainable, everything from earthquakes to why we are. Eventualy some (or rather lots) of bad people latched on to this occurence and took advantage of it for the purpose of expoiting and controlling people.

Not all religion is a tool to avoid thinking or a tool to control people, there are people of every religion who actualy do strictly follow the set of morals that that religion stands for. Look at Bhudism, it's a religion, but it mainly exists to help people, and to help people help other people.

As for the problems of today, I think pinning the blame on only religion, or only money etc. is out of the question if true enderstanding is what you want.

I don't claim to be inside the head of George Bush, but I think that he does genuinely belive in god blah blah blah, but he is also very motivated by personal gain and so on. Likewise for many problem casuing religious leaders.

(On a side note my personal spirituality is there is no god, and that all I know is that music brings me to a place far beyond the realm of the explainable.)

No offense taken whatsoever, I'm not religous.

Getting rid of religion is impossible - it's human nature if nothing else to want to explain the world we live in with religion. I find that those who oppose religion as strongly as some of you do here are on the same distructive wave-length as some of the most religious fundamentalists - Let's call you anti-religious fundamentalists.

But you can at least give anti-religious fundamentalists credit that they're not bigoted towards people who are born a certain way. Nor do they attempt to, say, take that bigotry and make it law in the name of moral values.

Between the extreme anti-religious people on this thread and Jerry Falwell, I'll take the anti-religious group, for obvious reasons.

Why was Nazi the first thing that came into my mind when I read that?
probably because of the words "isolate" and "hoard". although, my prejudice is reasonable.

As for the problems of today, I think pinning the blame on only religion, or only money etc. is out of the question if true enderstanding is what you want.

how do I achieve true understanding? should I meditate?

I find that those who oppose religion as strongly as some of you do here are on the same distructive wave-length as some of the most religious fundamentalists - Let's call you anti-religious fundamentalists.

destructive wave-length?

while i whole-heartedly agree that religion is often a sheild governments and people hide behind in attempts to justify things that aren't generally acceptable to the majority, i have to just as passionately dissagree with blaming religion itself as "the root of all evil". atheism, the absence of religion, is a religion in and of itself. religion is just a word you put on a series of ideas that are common to a specific group. seriously. if george w. bush were any sort of christian, he never would've attacked the middle east. he did. okay, he screwed up. according to his own bible God speaks through the earth. God warns his people they need to stop what they're doing through natural disasters of apocolyptic proportions. still this man continues to argue he is doing the work of God? whether you believe in christianity or not, it isn't his religion that has him blowing up children. his religion clearly told him to stop.

i think that people as cowardly and selfish as the bush administration will use whatever excuse works. if they're talking to enron, it's oil and money. if they're talking to new yorkers it's 9/11. if they're talking to the red states it's Jesus. and i think it's just plain COLD to blame religion for the problems of the world. people are shitty and selfish and mean.

now if dick friggin cheney is a religion, i'll agree with that whole "root of all evil" thing.

as far as this seperation of church and state business, that's not the decision of our elected officials, and it's not your decision. it's the choice of the majority. in fact, it's kind of a non-issue in the sense that we can agree with the laws we agree with and disagree with the laws we don't, fuck whether or not they coincide with a religious belief. just because you're pro-life doesn't make you a christian, even though the majority of christians are pro-life. see what i'm saying?

atheism, the absence of religion, is a religion in and of itself. religion is just a word you put on a series of ideas that are common to a specific group.

Atheism is a religion like not playing guitar is a hobby.

Webster's defines religion as this:

Religion

Noun

1. A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

2. Institution to express belief in a divine power.