Moonlight_Graham

Liberals Getting Away With Just A Slap

A few weeks ago, Paul Coffin admitted defrauding the federal government of $1.5 million in the Canadian spondership scandal, but instead of jail-time he sentanced to...complete community service via public speaking. What?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ce20050919.html

Paul Coffin sentenced in federal sponsorship scandal

Last Updated Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:47:26 EDT

CBC News

Advertising executive Paul Coffin won't be going to prison. Coffin -- the first person charged in the federal sponsorship scandal -- has been given a conditional sentence of two-years less a day to be served in the community. He must obey a curfew of 9 p.m. on weekdays and must speak publicly about his experience.

In May, Coffin pleaded guilty to 15 fraud charges. The Crown had asked for a 34-month sentence while Coffin's lawyer had suggested a conditional sentence. Coffin admitted defrauding the federal government of $1.5 million between 1997 and 2002 for doing little or no work. He has reimbursed the government about $1 million. Coffin was originally charged with 18 counts of fraud, but three of those charges were withdrawn. His jury trial had been set to start June 6.

The head of Coffin Communications was arrested in September 2003 on charges relating to federally sponsored events which took place between 1997 and 2002.

In his testimony at the Gomery inquiry in April, Coffin said he repeatedly produced fake invoices, overbilling the federal government for thousands of dollars for work that was never done on sponsorship projects.

And the latest, ex-Royal Canadian Mint president David Dingwall who recently "resigned" because of scandal over his luscious spending seems to be receiving very little punishment...

http://www.canada.com/search/story.html?id...48-e9c664c0a725

Dingwall dinged for misspending
Edited by Moonlight_Graham

Yeah seriously. It's shameful and appaling what these assholes get away with.

$1.5M, and a little under 2 years of community service in the form of public speaking? What the hell is that? If I stole that much, i'd be in prison for years and years, and nobody would ever hire me again! My life would be ruined if i stole that much money! But this asshole pretty much gets away with it. He hasn't even paid it all back yet.

Who appoints these idiots, and who votes in the idiots that appoint them? It's a giant chain of government idiocy. The Liberal Party makes me ashamed to be Canadian.

Svend Robinson, a former NDP MP, stole too (not government funds though), and he was sentenced to community service too.

He admitted what he did was wrong, and turned himself in, and then resigned.

This asshole stole tax money, which is a breach of trust, and i doubt he regretted anything til he got caught.

No comparison.

Svend is almost definitely going to run again, in Vancouver Centre (against Hedy Fry), and according to his own polls he could win. Thing is, Svend remains very personally popular. And I hope he does run, and win, because he is a tireless advocate for human rights, both in Canada and elsewhere, and his absence from parliament this year is the country's loss.

Svend is almost definitely going to run again, in Vancouver Centre (against Hedy Fry), and according to his own polls he could win. Thing is, Svend remains very personally popular. And I hope he does run, and win, because he is a tireless advocate for human rights, both in Canada and elsewhere, and his absence from parliament this year is the country's loss.

Agreed. Aside from the fact that he may be a slight clepto, he was good for Vancouver.