crazycanuck

Who Is The Best Current Guitar Player?

does clapton really count? didn't he retire? he's kind of old too. when i think current i think of someone relatively young.

Well he's still capable even though he's getting on in years. Still plays, he did the whole hurricane benefit deal and the Cream reunion thing.

does clapton really count? didn't he retire? he's kind of old too. when i think current i think of someone relatively young.

Well he's still capable even though he's getting on in years. Still plays, he did the whole hurricane benefit deal and the Cream reunion thing.

yeah, but what's he done recently?

Everything he's known for happened years ago, so I wouldn't rate him current.

Well I haven't been keeping up with specifics of his activities, but I know his "Back Home" album came out only months ago in late August of 2005. "Me and Mr. Johnson" came out in 2004, although it's a cover album really. "Reptile" came out in 2001.

Well I haven't been keeping up with specifics of his activities, but I know his "Back Home" album came out only months ago in late August of 2005. "Me and Mr. Johnson" came out in 2004, although it's a cover album really. "Reptile" came out in 2001.

But does anyone really care?

He just isn't relevant anymore.

It's like the Rolling Stones. They just released a new album, and I hear it's not half-bad, but really, when you get the urge to listen to the Stones, do you throw on A Bigger Bang or Exile on Main Street?

It's like the Rolling Stones. They just released a new album, and I hear it's not half-bad, but really, when you get the urge to listen to the Stones, do you throw on A Bigger Bang or Exile on Main Street?

Well I still care for one, or I wouldn't have bothered trying to make the point.

Well I still care for one, or I wouldn't have bothered trying to make the point.

But in the context of current guitar players....

Maybe I should have asked "who is the best guitar player of this decade?". I was trying to avoid the standard cliche of Clapton, Hendrix, and Page because then it wouldn't be terribly interesting. They've recieved their accolades, it's time to move on and shine light on the next generation.

If current=this decade, does it count only guitarists that are new this decade, or also ones that were around before but are still around?

And even more importantly, how are we defining best? Personal favourite? Most technically advanced? Influence?

Anyway:

Michael Lee Firkins

Jake Cinninger

Shawn Lane (died '03)

Jason Becker (has ALS, but is still composing)

Scott Lerner

Steven Wilson

Just a brief few, mostly just a couple of my favourites. However, Lane and Becker are/were extremely technically advanced, far more so than anyone else in this thread. But technicality doesn't count if you don't like the music. This is why 'best guitar player' threads are pretty much entirely personal opinion. There really isn't a 'best'.

But in the context of current guitar players....

Maybe I should have asked "who is the best guitar player of this decade?". I was trying to avoid the standard cliche of Clapton, Hendrix, and Page because then it wouldn't be terribly interesting. They've recieved their accolades, it's time to move on and shine light on the next generation.

Very well.

Christian Bystron.

Dave Genn!!!

I have grown to hate Dave Genn. And that's just as a person. Any decent player could have been in his position.

Mike from Incubus

Adam from Killswitch Engage