Ravenous Yam

Canada: This Union Can't Be Saved

http://www.vdare.com/misc/060124_grace.htm

What does everyone think?

I think a lot of good points are raised, like the fact the the Canadian Conservatives are still to the left of even the American Democrats and that

the English Canadian provinces have discovered that they too can play the Patriot Game: give us more or else. It started in Newfoundland, which demanded successfully that its burgeoning oil revenues not be counted against its equalization payments. Nova Scotia was next. Even Ontario... is demanding its

This shit has been going on forever. As long as honkeys have been in what is now called Canada.

Is any country that exists today older than 1000 years?

San Marino aside, i don't think there are any countries around the 1000 mark, and even then, they're not even the same country.

All of the big ones fall apart. you just can't keep 32 000 000 satsisfied, let alone 250 000 000. The difference is that the US have smaller states, so if one actually left, it wouldn't be a loss of 15% (guesstimate) of the country, nor would it hinder travel between halves of the country. Quebec is right in the middle.

I personally, want to jump ship to Europe.

i think england has been around a long time because it's an island, like Japan.

You can try to live together peacefully, or you can beat the shit out of each other.

Unless your Irish, you'll probably try to stay peaceful.

It's a little strange how well you folks seem to be taking the potential separation of the country. I mean, in the states, guess everyone's seen what happened when South Carolina tried to go its own way and a few hundred thousand people ended up dying.

This shit has been going on forever. As long as honkeys have been in what is now called Canada.

Is any country that exists today older than 1000 years?

San Marino aside, i don't think there are any countries around the 1000 mark, and even then, they're not even the same country.

All of the big ones fall apart. you just can't keep 32 000 000 satsisfied, let alone 250 000 000. The difference is that the US have smaller states, so if one actually left, it wouldn't be a loss of 15% (guesstimate) of the country, nor would it hinder travel between halves of the country. Quebec is right in the middle.

I personally, want to jump ship to Europe.

Odd, though, that since WWII, the EU has increasingly been moving towards becoming a single entity, and not (I think it's 25 now) individual states. Europe is integrating economically and politically, and starting to look almost like a federal state.

But when you think about it, North America is almost the same way. Except we've always had states or provinces instead of individual countries which slowly amalgamated.

In North America, because of the sheer size of the place and the way that natural resources/business centres are spread out, it's economically important that there are a few large countries instead of dozens of smaller ones. Imagine if every state in the U.S./province in Canada were to become their own independent countries responsible for trade? All the wealth would become concentrated in NY, LA, Alberta, possibly Toronto (because it's the economic engine of the region), while all the rural areas would slide into poverty. That's geopolitics for you.

That's really not why there are a couple big countries in North America at all. The U.S. of course united thirteen states so they could fight the British. And then after that, along the way came "Manifest Destiny" and stuff like that which kind have set the precendant for the Americans taking over what they could in North America because in those days they belived one day all North America would be theirs. After the Civil War in the U.S. the British became worried about the U.S. invading Canada, I seem to remember them supporting the wrong side in the war too, and they didn't have the resources at the time to ward off the Americans, so it was their belief the colonies united would be able to stop the Americans in their tracks if they tried to invade the North. There were some talks in the Atlantic Colonies already about merging, but the British managed to get the other ones invited to the conference they were about to hold as well. It ended up being successful, so along the way Canada came about to protect the colonies from becoming American.

Edited by Matt