Matt

Emerson Crosses The Floor

Well the Parliment isn't already in session, and David Emmerson (former Liberal MP) has already crossed the floor to the Tories, in exchange for a cabinet post.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/Article...efection_060206

Former Liberal David Emerson defects to Tories

CTV.ca News Staff

Former Liberal industry minister David Emerson has crossed the floor to sit in Stephen Harper's Conservative cabinet.

The Vancouver MP and former head of lumber giant Canfor stunned onlookers when he arrived at Rideau Hall shortly before the Tory cabinet was to be announced.

A short while later he was sworn in as the new Conservative Minister of International Trade and the Minister responsible for the Olympic Games in Vancouver in 2010.

Snatching Emerson could be seen as Conservative retribution for the defection of Belinda Stronach to the Liberals in exchange for a cabinet post.

At the time, Stephen Harper harshly criticized Stronach and several Conservatives demanded laws forcing floor-crossers to go back to the electorate for another mandate.

"During the last parliament as I sat across from the government benches, I was consistently impressed with David Emerson," Harper told reporters after being sworn in as Canada's 22nd prime minister.

"He is a man of great intelligence, a man with a stellar record in the private sector, who is clearly committed to public service.

"I asked Emerson to join Canada's new government and he accepted. For this I am grateful and I know Minister Emerson looks forward to continuing to serve the people of British Columbia and all new Canadians in the next parliament."

Emerson was considered a leadership candidate for the Liberals, and took a prominent role on the issue of softwood lumber in Martin's government. His acquisition by the Conservatives gives the party its only MP in one of the country's major cities.

"It is a big score for us, no doubt about it," said Conservative strategist Tim Powers. "It takes a potential Liberal leadership candidate away from the Liberals."

However, Powers played down the ethical implications raised by Emerson's party switch.

"I think a lot of people in the Conservative party came from other parties. There wouldn't be a Conservative party today if people hadn't come from other parties," Powers said.

Political analyst Joan Crockatt said Emerson's flip-flop does raise some ethical questions, as his riding elected him as a Liberal.

"But it's something that shows that Stephen Harper is taking to heart some of the criticism when he didn't win any seat in three of the major cities in Canada," she added.

Emerson is thought to be frustrated at the lack of accomplishments made by his former party. In his new post he will be charged with developing the relationship between Canada and the growing market in China and the Pacific region.

Emerson was first elected by the people of Vancouver-Kingsway in June 2004, and won his seat again in January, 2006.

He was appointed the Minister of Industry and Co-Senior Minister for British Columbia by former Prime Minister Paul Martin.

The son of working class parents, David was born in Montreal in 1945 and raised in Grand Prairie, Alberta.

People have the right to cross the floor. We're in a minority situation, so it's not like this government will probably last for more than two years. So, it's not like the voters won't get to decide soon enough, and look at Belinda she crossed and won by more than 4 800 votes, so it's not like it cost her too much by crossing. Also, why not give the voters a chance to see what their MP is like on the other side? Perhaps they'll decide he's still doing a good job and decide to keep him anyways. The only irony of this is that the Tories condemned Belinda Stronach for the very same thing last spring and now when the tables are turned choose to do it anyways.

Edited by Matt

How long until someone (the NDP don't count) introduces legislation keeping this bullshit from happening?

The liberals won't do it, the conservatives won't do it...

How does the NDP not count?

I bet they'll totally introduce accountability legislation and the Cons will be forced to vote on it or be exposed as the opportunistic liars they truly are.

i just dont think its fair to the people who voted you in to suddenly swap parties on them.

Well, I think we SHOULD vote for a person and not a party. But since it's popular to vote for a party, they should have to stick to that party.

Anyone watch The Hour tonight? I liked how George Strombo said that on Day One Stephen Harper has already broken promises. First having a floor crosser as a minister after the harsh criticism against Belinda when she did it. And appointing a non-elected MP to a Cabinet position and to the Senate because he's un-elected (Stephen Harper said he would have elections for senate vacancies).

i just dont think its fair to the people who voted you in to suddenly swap parties on them.

Well, I think we SHOULD vote for a person and not a party. But since it's popular to vote for a party, they should have to stick to that party.

There should be a by-election in the MP's riding whenever this happens.

Edited by no yu begin wher i end

If they can't switch parties, why would becoming an independant make a difference? People did not elect them as an independant either, and maybe would not have had they run as one.

At least it would prevent people from being bribed with cabinet positions if they switched parties, which seems the case in both this and the Belinda switches.

It's really not a big deal, people are going to cross if they want to one way or another if the opportunity is there. However, this way at least the voters can decide if they like this person enough after the switch still to re-elect them or not by watching their performance in the House, and then deciding in the next election if they still want someone from the other party or not.

I disagree with the time line, but it's still not a big deal, people have been crossing the floor of the commons for years and will probably continue to do so either which way. An election is more than likely to happen in the next couple years too considering minority parliments don't usually last long. This will give the constiuents a chance to grade Emerson's performance as a Tory and decide to keep him or not after that.